AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loss of Range  (Read 38385 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Loss of Range
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 10:46:12 PM »
I always disconnect the antenna when I switch off the PC - that's over 18 months of connecting and disconnecting the antenna almost every day.  Also using RB at home and and work and on holiday etc.  I've had no problems with the RadarBox socket, although I did get the "retracting" centre-pin with the standard antenna plug.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
What is the path forward to return the unit to AN for it to be looked at??

Do I need an RMA number of something of this nature??

Perhaps AirNav could comment??

I intend to try the unit out in the car tomorrow, parked somewhere as high as I can get (probably car park 2 at Heathrow) but to be honest I am doubting that I will pick up much further than 30 miles away

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
I suggest you contact AirNav support direct for 1-2-1 problem solving and return info: [email protected]

Let's hope you won't need to!

Rod
Rod

Fenris

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
I note that, you have been away for a week or two, you have an internal antenna in the loft.

Do you by any chance have a build up of snow on the roof? If so that could make a difference, also it could be affected even if it's melted and the roof is saturated where it was reasonably dry before.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »
Hi,

I like your way of thinking Fenris, and I pray that you right, however I doubt it.

I have the RB with me, so as soon as I leave work at 1300hrs we will see what it does with setup aerial on the car.

9M

9M-ISJ

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
Hi All,

Well as expected the box worked no better with the small aerial stuck to the roof of the car on top of the MSCP at Terminal 2. I was still unable to get past about 30miles of range.

So, thanks to all.... but I guess something is wrong with the unit itself and I shall head off down the road of support at AN.

Out of interest I will try to post up a before and after coverage chart

9M

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:13:14 PM by 9M-ISJ »

9M-ISJ

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »
And what I used to get...... sob sob sob

(glad I made a load with it in the US,, as it seems to have killed it. I would be really cross if it had been a waste of time!)

jgrloit

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 02:22:39 PM »
While you are mobile, have you connected the outer of the aerial cable directly to your car chassis to check if the braid has fractured, and you therefore have no efective groundplane?
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 02:25:25 PM »
Hi,

Yep... aerial stuck directly to roof of car, and it returns almost 100percent the same range that it does with the loft mounted one at home. Plots appear and disappear in almost the same places.

9M

jgrloit

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »
Missing the point - If the outer Braid is damaged even with the aerial base on the car roof you will have no electrical capacitive connection to what you are using as the groundplane.
I had this happen here, fixed the braid and the maximum signal range went back up from 30Nm to over 100Nm  and in a bad location!!
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 02:52:33 PM »
Not missing the point... however,

I have a totally seperate loft mounted aerial with a totally different set of wire and connectors which is also picking up nothing more than 30 miles away.

I am getting a tenth of my range using EITHER aerial.

The point of setting up with the magmount aerial was to prove that it couldnt be something wrong with the loft based set up (or something like a soaked roof).

The unit is returning the same 30 NM range with either set up (and it should be noted on two different installations of the software - as the loft mounted results were shown on my desktop PC and the mobile ones were on my laptop).

I have now lodged a case with tech support at AN, lets see where that goes

Tramline

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
Not missing the point... however,

I have a totally seperate loft mounted aerial with a totally different set of wire and connectors which is also picking up nothing more than 30 miles away.

I am getting a tenth of my range using EITHER aerial.

The point of setting up with the magmount aerial was to prove that it couldnt be something wrong with the loft based set up (or something like a soaked roof).

The unit is returning the same 30 NM range with either set up (and it should be noted on two different installations of the software - as the loft mounted results were shown on my desktop PC and the mobile ones were on my laptop).

I have now lodged a case with tech support at AN, lets see where that goes

I'm away till next Tuesday, but if you want to pop round we can try out your aerial here?

Let me know....
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 04:34:18 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the kind offer, but AirNav support have told me to send the unit in for replacement/repair. So it will be on its way to Essex tomorrow (just look out for crystal clear blue skies with everything trailing until it comes back!!)

Tramline

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the kind offer, but AirNav support have told me to send the unit in for replacement/repair. So it will be on its way to Essex tomorrow (just look out for crystal clear blue skies with everything trailing until it comes back!!)

Indeed, its forecast to be clear, sunny and cold with vapour trails a mile long.  Still, I'll be away as well and will also miss the UL9 frenzy.
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »
I really will miss it, even with this horrible range it has helped me to make 7 so far this afternoon!!

I have no idea how many extra it added to the log book in the US

Fantastic bit of kit, and I hope to be without it for the minimum amount of time