AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Account Renewal  (Read 26656 times)

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Account Renewal
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 02:36:39 PM »
I just want to say that I LOVE the network - it's what sold me on the RB.

Sure, we have large chunks of the planet not covered, sure, there are some outages and bugs, but I still think the whole concept is wonderful, and I really enjoy touring the globe watching police helicopters in Germany, A380's in OZ, and Fointier Airbuses buzzing around Denver. And I don't give a tinker's cuss about the 5-minute delay.

All for about ONE EURO per WEEK - I don't think that's expensive.

Rod
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:46:12 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

rogerl

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 02:38:49 PM »
I thought that you were automatically logged on to the sharing part of the network each time you started RadarBox - the only way of stopping that was by going into Options each time at start up, and unchecking the relevant box.

That is certainly what happens and there doesn't appear to be any way of saving the option not to share data.

Like others, I thought we got 30 minutes download free for every hour we uploaded which is fair enough.

My subscription is a long way from renewal, but if I had to pay, I think I'd just switch to using planeplotter as my sole network solution especially as its a lot more seamless than the RB solution (ie. no 5 minute delay and leaping planes!) and already gives better coverage in my area.

The downside of course is that I would be reluctant to continue to share my data with the RB network as I wouild be getting nothing back in return. If many of us do this, I can see the RB network suffering.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »
Given the "legal" questions raised on the other forum about the selling of ADS/B data, I may also stop sharing.  I just can't see what's in it for me to continue sharing.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »
Hi Allocator, that is bad news about not getting 30 mins free for every hour of sharing, from today I will not be sharing any more, I will use planeplotter to get the network trafic when my account runs out.

stu

Isn't that a bit mean - sharing the data benefits all the RB users on the network.  Your choice though ;-)

AirNav significantly reduced the network cost to the 5 Euro per month price, although I can't remember what it was originally.  As far as I'm concerned, 5 Euro's a month is cheap entertainment for me as I use the Network all the time.  I pay something like GBP 22 per month for my Sky TV package and I think that I spend more time watching RadarBox :-)  My Broadband package costs GBP 24 per month, then there's the mobile phone package etc - so I consider the 5 Euro charge pretty good!

waddington1

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »
As I said I think alot of people will stop sharing like me and use Planeplotter, unless Airnav go back to giving 30 mins for each hour.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »
Given the "legal" questions raised on the other forum about the selling of ADS/B data, I may also stop sharing.  I just can't see what's in it for me to continue sharing.

So, we're comparing the legality of sharing live data via PP for free, against the legality of sharing delayed Network data - interesting.

I understand that the selling of Network data - and it doesn't all come from our boxes as I understand - is subsidising the lower cost of the subscription.  Not selling the data and increasing the subscription cost would have the same result - less people sharing.  I don't know what to suggest really.  No subscription charge for the Network and then be happy for AirNav to sell the data on?

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »
 As far as I'm concerned, 5 Euro's a month is cheap entertainment for me as I use the Network all the time.

If you're using the network all the time, then it may be good value.   My interest is in traffic over the south of England, Wales, Ireland, but most of all in transatlantic movements (military principally) but there isn't ever going to be many permanent/regular RB contributors between me and the US/Canada, they'd be getting rather damp methinks.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Tallyho

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 02:52:56 PM »
My view...

I would only renew the network if I had full access to the shared data that I received.
As it is I don't use the RB network data at all and get my network data from other sources.

I still upload 24/7 via RB to both RB network and PlanePlotter network but I am keeping a keen eye on the other alternatives that are springing up at the moment as things appear to be going a bit one way at the moment.
IMHO - RB users contribute a hell of lot to the network data but all we have free access to is the data we upload and even that very shortly is going to have a delay put on it if we want to use it outside of RB (port 30003).

Thats why I personally prefer the PlanePlotter network model as I see it being a little fairer. We need something like FreeNet, we buy the box and get a limited network service for FREE with paying options to increase coverage if required.

Don't get me wrong I think RB is fantastic and AirNav do a great job, I just think the network model could be a little fairer especially to the full time contributers to their network.

A bit off subject but can anyone point me at the legal stuff that says any shared network data has to be delayed by 5 minutes which keeps being referred to everywhere.

Deadcalm

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
I don't think it's mean choosing not to share your data freely for other users who have to pay for that data.  If you opt not to continue using the network, then why should you freely make that data available to anyone else?  I'd happily sell it, though, as essentially that's what AirNav are doing to paying network users!

Anyway, there is a principle at stake, and I'm not happy being a cash cow for something which isn't 100%

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 02:54:40 PM »
For me it really just comes down to this.  Can I justify £48 when I don't get much benefit from the Radarbox network.  There's no other Radarboxes sharing to the north of me, which is the one area where my coverage is restricted (by hills).  If there were more Radarboxes located near me, then the network would be of more use.

£48 is a lot of money when prices are rising, pension payments are dropping, and interest rates are approaching 0%.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:58:47 PM by tarbat »

waddington1

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »
I feel very bad about not sharing, I will keep looking at what airnav do.

Hosch

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »
When I bought my RB in April last year the concept was to get credit time if you share your data.
When has this been changed ? I'm not sure I have been informed by Airnav.

I'm a big fan of the RB but also a customer !

Hosch

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »
I understand that the selling of Network data - and it doesn't all come from our boxes as I understand - is subsidising the lower cost of the subscription. 

As a matter of interest, can we access this 'other' data, or is that purely for commercial use?

No subscription charge for the Network and then be happy for AirNav to sell the data on?

If there was just a nominal registration fee, then personally, I'd have no problem being allowed to download as much data as I've uploaded, with data being sold on to subsidise the network.    If you're not contributing, why should you be able to parasitise others' contributions.   Currently, my input would be virtually nil, and until I've got my external antennas rigged (ordered yesterday from www.radioworld.co.uk at a cost of just under £400 - only one for RB use tho') and I'm not registering/using the network, although I'd have had a lot more RB fun in the meantime!

Today's a prime example, too cold and windy outside to do anything useful, but standard twig, blows back off the roof and hammers the window, quicker than I can put it up, so no RB today for me............
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:14:05 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

waddington1

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
When I bought my RB in April last year the concept was to get credit time if you share your data.
When has this been changed ? I'm not sure I have been informed by Airnav.

I'm a big fan of the RB but also a customer !

Hosch

That is my point and why I am not sharing at the moment because I too thought I was earning time when I was sharing.  I must admit I am not very happy and thats why sharing is off.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »
I doubt if I will re-register for the network when my time runs out. Two reasons; I have PlanePlotter which has far more sharers and is free and the fact that our shared info is used for other products by Airnav.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk