anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Account Renewal  (Read 26653 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Account Renewal
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:53:43 AM »
So, what happens when your Airnav account gets to the end of it's one year free period?  Mine expires today at 20:22pm.  Do you get a reminder email or something to tell you how to pay?  And will I just lose the network flights at 20:22pm, or is there any other functionality that will stop at that time?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:55:19 AM by tarbat »

Wayne

Re: Account Renewal
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
Hi Tarbat

I renewed mine the other day. The only prompt you get is when you try and connect to the network after your account has expired. Just went to the Order section of AirNav's site and renewed. You need your RB serial number and then pay and the re-connection is almost instant

Wayne

waddington1

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 01:53:30 PM »
Mine will run out soon, i don't think I will be renewing.  I love the radarbox and I share my data 24 7 at EGNX. 

I thought you got 30 mins free for every hour you share, does anyone know how this works.

Stu

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:00:53 PM »
Mine will run out soon, i don't think I will be renewing.  I love the radarbox and I share my data 24 7 at EGNX. 

I thought you got 30 mins free for every hour you share, does anyone know how this works.

Stu

The free minutes were superseded by the significantly reduced subscription fees - it just hasn't been removed in the software window.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »
I'm in the same position.  I can't justify the cost of £48, since I rarely use the network.  Sure, I'll miss it on the odd occasion, but I'll get by with AirNavLive.com when I need to track a flight overseas.

It's a shame you can't just buy 1 months access, or just the occasional day :(  So, no more aircraft sharing from my northern outpost in the Highlands of Scotland.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:23:32 PM by tarbat »

jgrloit

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 02:11:20 PM »
I wonder if the  renewal will also lock you out of the forum - in which case Tarbet, I think that AIRNAV and it's userbase may miss you more than you miss them!!!

Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »
I wonder if the  renewal will also lock you out of the forum - in which case Tarbet, I think that AIRNAV and it's userbase may miss you more than you miss them!!!

Why should it lock you out of the forum?  You can be on the forum without even owning a RadarBox, so that isn't going to happen!

Deadcalm

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 02:21:01 PM »
I thought that you were automatically logged on to the sharing part of the network each time you started RadarBox - the only way of stopping that was by going into Options each time at start up, and unchecking the relevant box.

I thought that the bit you pay for was only the reception of networked traffic.

Or have I got it wrong?

Either way, I doubt that I'll be renewing, chiefly because parts of the networked system haven't worked properly during the year that I've had RadarBox. Despite the various bugs being logged, we're still waiting for fixes to be implemented (particularly concerning routes not showing on the transition between live and networked traffic), and I don't consider it fair to be expected to pay for a service which is only partially functional.  Well, that's my take on it, anyway.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »
I thought that you were automatically logged on to the sharing part of the network each time you started RadarBox - the only way of stopping that was by going into Options each time at start up, and unchecking the relevant box.

I thought that the bit you pay for was only the reception of networked traffic.

Or have I got it wrong?

DC

You are correct.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 02:26:36 PM »
The dilemma I have is that if there were Radarbox users NORTH of me, I'd be more tempted to pay for the network.  So, how will I know, in the future, if any new Radarboxes are located to the north of me - in Orkney, Shetland, Lewis, etc.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »
Surely, Tarbat, you'll still have access to the AirNav User map, our own user map, and the forum - I'm sure you'll be able to keep up ;-)

Rod
Rod

Allocator

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 02:31:50 PM »
The dilemma I have is that if there were Radarbox users NORTH of me, I'd be more tempted to pay for the network.  So, how will I know, in the future, if any new Radarboxes are located to the north of me - in Orkney, Shetland, Lewis, etc.

Can you get an Internet connection - especially Broadband - that far north?

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 02:32:07 PM »
Although I've not yet registered and started using the network, it seems to me that AirNav are going to have to significantly reduce (to a nominal amount each year - say £10) the subscription fee, if they want RB users to continue support and contribute their data to the system.   If an RB user is uploading info., they should be allowed to access and download the same amount of data without charge.   Especially so, if info/data is going to be sold on to non-contributors who don't even own RBs.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 02:32:37 PM »
Yes, but the Airnav network map just shows the location of the Radarbox users ISP.  There aren't many ISPs in Orkney, Shetland, etc.!!!!

Yes, I'll check the user map, but so far, I'm the most northern location.  A lot of Radarbox users don't put their location on our user map.

Can you get an Internet connection - especially Broadband - that far north?

Scotland is better served than England by broadband since our government funded broadband for remote areas - see http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/People/BroadbandforScotland
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:37:00 PM by tarbat »

waddington1

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »
Hi Allocator, that is bad news about not getting 30 mins free for every hour of sharing, from today I will not be sharing any more, I will use planeplotter to get the network trafic when my account runs out.

stu