anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox and Vista...the bottom line  (Read 5260 times)

prbflight

RadarBox and Vista...the bottom line
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:13:37 PM »
I've just purchased a new laptop and it has the Vista operating system.  Up until now I've only used RB with Windows XP.

So my question is to the users of Vista out there...what is the best setup?  I've followed the threads over the last while but there still seems to be some disagreement as to the best way to install RB on Vista.  AirNav Support what do you recommend?  I would like to install properly.  Please keep in mind I will also be installing AirNav Live, AirNav ACARS Decoder, and AirNav Suite as well.  I don't want any conflicts with various types of installation.  Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.

Paul@cyyb

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: RadarBox and Vista...the bottom line
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:07:53 PM »
So my question is to the users of Vista out there...what is the best setup?

For any program that continually updates files in its own installation folder, I always recommend NOT using the default installation folder.  I'd recommend a new folder called something like C:\Programs, and install Radarbox in that folder - ie C:\Programs\Airnav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2009

Then make sure to set an exception for that folder in your anti-virus software.

This then avoid any complications with Vista's Virtual Store.

Just my opinion, but I've used this for many programs that update their own files.

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »
I've done the same as Tarbat and I've had no trouble with my setup, just don't use the default settings.  I just put mine straight into c:

Stuart

prbflight

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »
So my question is to the users of Vista out there...what is the best setup?

For any program that continually updates files in its own installation folder, I always recommend NOT using the default installation folder.  I'd recommend a new folder called something like C:\Programs, and install Radarbox in that folder - ie C:\Programs\Airnav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2009

Then make sure to set an exception for that folder in your anti-virus software.

This then avoid any complications with Vista's Virtual Store.

Just my opinion, but I've used this for many programs that update their own files.

Thanks Tarbat

I've always respected your input.  I will give it a try.

Thanks to besty8 also!

Paul@cyyb
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:18:35 PM by prbflight »

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »
My wife's lap-top is an Acer 5920 with Intel DC T7300 running @ 2.0Ghz with 2Gb RAM running Vista and Norton 360.   I loaded the 2009 CD software, I know not where, but from looking at My Computer, it shows up in C:/Program Files.   It takes 2-3 minutes to fire, but all seems to run OK.   The HDD is partitioned, with I think, the Acer/Win OS etc. hidden away in C somewhere.   I've not been able to find "Virtual Store" anywhere.    Should I delete/uninstall AN files and start again?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
2-3 minutes to fire-up seems excessive, mine takes about 20seconds.  If you're running Norton 360, you'll need to setup an exception for the Virtual Store.  Might be easier to uninstall and re-install anywhere other than C:\Program Files, but you'll lose your MyLog.

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:05:06 PM »
Hi Tarbat, thanks for that, losing MyLog, would be no problem, I usually spend the 2-3 mins removing the lower casement of the sash window, so I can pull the nails out to drop the upper one (no weights to counterbalance) and lean out to stick the standard twig on the flat roof above! How do I set up an exception for the Virtual Store - I can't even find it?    You can see why I went for the RB rather than SBS................ computer illiterate.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

prbflight

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 09:18:52 PM »
2-3 minutes to fire-up seems excessive, mine takes about 20seconds.  If you're running Norton 360, you'll need to setup an exception for the Virtual Store.  Might be easier to uninstall and re-install anywhere other than C:\Program Files, but you'll lose your MyLog.

Hi Tarbat

Can you please explain more about losing MyLog?  Do you mean after every time you open and close RB or just when you change the directory the one time?

Thanks

Paul@cyyb

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 10:14:36 PM »
Paul, I mean if you uninstall and then re-install in a different location.

Jon, see this earlier post for details of the Virtual Store - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2015.msg16395#msg16395

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:39:52 PM »
Thanks for the link tarat, I couldn't find it.