anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unable to send report via e-mail  (Read 16702 times)

markb

Unable to send report via e-mail
« on: January 15, 2009, 01:00:04 AM »
Hi all,

I've been trying to e-mail reports in mylog and I keep getting an "unable to connect to SMTP server".  Any suggeations?  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mark

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Unable to send report via e-mail
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:22:29 AM »
Mark,

A few things to check:

- Are you using RB2009?

- Can you see Network Traffic OK?

- Are you getting photos downloaded?

- Do you have a valid email address entered in the Reports window?

- Do you have a valid email address in the Home Station Data in Preferences?

- Are you using a firewall that is stopping RB connecting to the AirNav email server?

prbflight

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:17:23 PM »
Hi Mark

I have had this problem since I purchased RadarBox in July of 2007.  Neither my ISP nor AirNav support has ever been able to diagnose or solve the problem.  I run RadarBox with one of its best features unavailable to me.  I thought I was the only one on the planet that had this problem.  Let's hope we can find a fix.  AirNav support can we get a configuration box in the next release?  Why does Acarsd auto send to me every midnight with absolutely no problem?  Is the difference that Acarsd has a config box?  Let's not give up on this.  Yes I've looked at everything form firewalls to routers to you name it over the last year and a half.  I'm still hoping for a cure.  Any suggestions.  Anyone?  RadarBox is the only software on my system that will not email my account (connect to the SMTP server).

Paul@cyyb
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:54:44 AM by prbflight »

Fenris

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »
Have you tried capturing the packets using Wireshark?

It might help to get a detailed handle on what traffic is sent and received.

I have seen problems in other cases with the MTU setting being wrong, sometimes data ends up sat in the Tx queue and won't clear. This can be because path MTU discovery has not worked properly.

SMTP is a very simple protocol, the only thing that can go wrong is when data gets stuck and the other end times out.

markb

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »
Allocator, 

My network subscription has expired, but I don't think that would prevent the reports from going out.  I'll have to double check the firewall, but I don't think that's it either.  My other thought was to re-install the whole program and see if that fixes it.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »
I don't think that reinstalling is going to help here.  You must have had RB for over a year if your subscription has expired.  Have the email reports ever worked?

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 07:27:38 PM »
I've been trying to e-mail reports in mylog and I keep getting an "unable to connect to SMTP server".  Any suggeations?  Am I missing something?

OK, back to basics.

1.  Can you send emails from other applications on your PC, e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express?  (I don't mean webmail like Hotmail, etc).

2.  What do you see if you open a DOS window and type  Telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 25  ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

prbflight

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:51:30 AM »

OK, back to basics.

1.  Can you send emails from other applications on your PC, e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express?  (I don't mean webmail like Hotmail, etc).

2.  What do you see if you open a DOS window and type  Telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 25  ?

Dave

1. Yes I can send email from all other applications on my PC...example Acarsd.  I use Outlook and can send and receive mail with no problem.  I have no problems with any application other then RadarBox.

2. See the attached screen shot of what I get when I type the above command into a DOS box.  It's an empty box with a flashing cursor.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:55:05 AM by prbflight »

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
2. See the attached screen shot of what I get when I type the above command into a DOS box.  It's an empty box with a flashing cursor.

Good, we're making progress.  Something (firewall, ISP, etc?) is stopping your PC from connecting to the SMTP server.  Below is what you should see.

Can you ping it ?  ping mail.airnavsystems.com  at the DOS prompt.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:36:55 AM by DaveReid »
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

rogerl

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 08:45:57 AM »
I have not used this feature myself, but if airnav are forcing you to go through their SMTP server, that is probably the problem.

A lot of ISPs block port 25 access to any but their own servers supposedly as a SPAM prevention measure.

There would be 2 ways round this but both involve Airnavsystems changes:
1) They could run the server on an alternate porrt (Port 26 is often used for this)
2) They could allow you to configure your own SMTP (ISP) details.

DaveReid

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:35:21 AM »
This might be an appropriate moment for AirNav Support to engage in this thread ...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »
His ISP is not blocking the port. The second suggestion was noted a while ago however the amount of customers with this issue has been very small so far that it has been marked as high priority.

The telnet test Dave has asked means Paul that if you don't have a firewall running on your computer its running on your route and causing it to stop messages being sent. If you tell us the make of your router we may be able to give you a few pointers.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

prbflight

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »
Hi Dave and AirNav Support

Below is a screenshot of what I get when I ping mail.airnavsystems.com

I'm on my thrid router (now wireless) since I bought RadarBox in July 2007.  I've tired turning off the firewall in the router on all three.  I've even bypassed the router and went straight through my DSL modem with no luck.  I've loaded RadarBox on two other computers in my house (network) with always the same results and still no joy.  Anyway I'm willing to try anything again so here is the make of my new wireless router.

D-Link EBR-2310

Once again everyone I really appreciate the help.

Paul@cyyb

Fenris

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 01:29:54 PM »

You did make sure you put the 25 at the end of the command, it's important as therwise telnet will default to port 23 and no one would be crazy enough to run a telnet service on the net these days so there would be no reply.

rogerl

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »
Just had a play with this and I get the message "Could not connect to SMTP server to send auto-report".

In my case this will definitely be as I mentioned above as I know my ISP (Be Internet) do block access to port 25 for all mailservers other than their own (as do most of the UK ISPs !)