AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: COA-1090 Antenna  (Read 5610 times)

mdobuk21

COA-1090 Antenna
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:45:05 PM »
Hi

Can anyone tell me if this antenna is any good? link:

http://www.airbandonline.co.uk/kapl_sbs1_aerial_co.htm

cheers

Mark

Deadcalm

Re: COA-1090 Antenna
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:17:47 AM »
I think most of these antennae are much of a muchness - provided they're all tweaked for best performance, any external antenna will give a considerable improvement.  It looks very similar to the BS1100 (with ground plane) which I find very successful.  With the clip, you have the added advantage of mobility.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

BobR

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:02:18 AM »
Looks good for mobile use but a bit pricey. I bought one of these for £54 and the build is excellent.

http://www.ssejim.co.uk/26-sseads1090sj.htm

Wayne

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
BobR - Did you buy anything else apart from the antenna and the cable ? Not really up on external antennas but do you also have to have a pre-amp and a power source to run the pre-amp ?

Seen this advert before which looks many times cheaper than the AirNav external kit bit I was told the difference in price was because the SSEADS kit still needed other things to be bought for it whereas the AirNav kit is supplied with everything you need.

Wayne

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »
Hello Wayne I bought a Wimo kit from Germany and this stopped working I bought another aerial for the loft before the expense of replacing the external aerial, I'm getting just as good results without the pre amp and the power supply. With it being in the loft it does suffer to the north east but i'm getting just short of 200nm south. So when I get my new external aerial I won't be bothering with the preamp  or power supply.

Wayne

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »
Thanks for that Besty. Will consider the loft option because after having double glazing the reception on RB has fallen considerably. I'm on an hill anyway so the loft should clear any line of sight problems.

Wayne

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »
you'll still lose some signals, depending on what tiles and the build of your house. I will replace my external aerial as you do get a lot better reception but it might have to wait for a while. this was the aerial i bought for the loft as it has a 5mtr cable, but you would need a bnc sma adapter.

http://www.aoruk.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MD1105%2DKIT%2DB

Seems to be working fine on my system.
Stuart

BobR

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »
BobR - Did you buy anything else apart from the antenna and the cable ? Not really up on external antennas but do you also have to have a pre-amp and a power source to run the pre-amp ?

Seen this advert before which looks many times cheaper than the AirNav external kit bit I was told the difference in price was because the SSEADS kit still needed other things to be bought for it whereas the AirNav kit is supplied with everything you need.

Wayne

No I just bought the antenna and the cable. There are lots of thoughts on pre-amps and I am still making up my mind ;-))