anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's the most flights you've had in MyFlights at a single moment?  (Read 11467 times)

freqhopping

This evening I had 176 showing, only 6 with ADS-B.   My average during peak traffic is normally around 120. 

My reception to the north really sucks too.  To the north I don't receive the inbound KIAD traffic at 6k until it's within 20 miles.  My max range to the north is only about 65 miles.  The topography just isn't in my favor.

I'm using the stock antenna in my attic without an amp. 

Might as well post one of my cool screenshots.  Not too often can you log Air Force-1 and 2 at the same time.  This was on Saturday.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: What's the most flights you've had in MyFlights at a single moment?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »
Impressive - I suppose you will get that occasionally if you live in the President's back yard!

And great results with the standard antenna. Here in Lancashire I think I'm doing well when I get over 100 in MyFlights.

Rod
Rod

BobR

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »
I had 63 this morning which is good for Newcastle Upon Tyne. 28 were plotting.
My setup at the moment is the kit antenna in the loft on a bit of tin for a groundplane.

Know doubt the further south you head the higher the stats will be :-))

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »
I'm lucky if I get over 30 :(  In fact, at the moment, I've got none.  Although it also depends on your timeout settings.

For me, it all depends on what transatlantic route is in use.  Too far south, and I see nothing.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:53:35 PM »
Although it also depends on your timeout settings.

Precisely - quoting numbers of flights without taking into account timeout sessions produces a meaningless comparison.

I recall in the days before SBS/BaseStation had decent logging facilities that the best way to produce a daily list was to set a timeout of 24 hours or more, which (in the SE UK at least) resulted in a flights list on the screen of 2,000+ aircraft.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:01:13 AM »
Yes, flights per day is a good measure of activity in an area.  Even then, all I got today was 374 flights - see my log at http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/log.htm

freqhopping

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:57:52 AM »
Mine is set to 30 seconds to mark as timeout, 60 seconds to hide.

BobR

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »
Yes, flights per day is a good measure of activity in an area.  Even then, all I got today was 374 flights - see my log at http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/log.htm

Thats probably a good way to do it. I managed 777 in one 24 hour period - its just a shame they don't all plot.

bratters

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »
I don't like an overloaded screen so I run a 10/10 second timeout on My Flights.
I take the My Log figure at the end of the day as my activity guide.
My RB runs maybe 8 hours a day on average and this generally produces log totals of around 1200 different aircraft.
Very happy with that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:37:44 AM by bratters »

Fenris

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
With my temporary setup (antenna on upstairs window sill) I feel lucky if I see more than 5 or 6 flights simultaneously, but a lot of that is down to terrain masking and surrounding houses within 30 feet. My best direction appears to show traffic out to about 30-35nm at FL400, but again that's a terrain limitation. The worst direction (which might be terrain, might be few aircraft passing in that direction and might be the Cardington airship sheds at 250ft high x 900ft long at 1 mile range) is about 4-5nm, which is a little odd because there is one clear arc.

Essentially this is down to being at 100ft asl with various surrounding terrain that is 150-200ft above me within a few miles in several directions.

I will do better with an external antenna, but in any case Sunday's log showed 650 flights.

tommyg

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »
Last summer summer I had a maximum of 205 flights active in my log but I am in the southeast of England virtually under the MAY VOR. Checked my list last Friday the set had been on nine hours and piicked up 1787 aircraft. I have an external aerial but no pre-amp and this gives me good distance in all but due west directions due to the local topography.
Tommyg

mdobuk21

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »
had my box on from 12am till as i type at 20:36 and i have 845 flights in mylog and at 20:36 have 32 in myflights, supplied antenna outside on the window ledge!
Mark

davjhedges

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
Hi,spent this afternoon putting an exterior antenna on a rear facia on an L mast so it clears the roof profile.near Chilterns s.oxon.my supplied aerial in north facing conservatory shelf max 24 flts ,usual 8-15. As i write this 28 flts,max so far 57, around 5pm.Really pleased with the difference,also helps my network coverage.

colinhall

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 06:50:01 AM »
Morning, I live on the coast near Dover and im using the supplied aerial and I can sometimes have 30 to 40 in My Flights but living where I do I can get most of the inbound and outbound flights from the East and I only put the aerial on the inside on the window ledge, but then again I do live on top of the cliffs of Dover.

Jason

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
Hi,only got my RB yesterday and I'm really impressed with it.I managed 588 aircraft yesterday in about 11 hours with the supplied antena on my window sill.Positioned under approach at Manchester about 3 miles out I have received aircraft as far away as Turweston.I lose landing aircraft between 300-400ft.Loads of trees & houses around me so much better reception than expected.
Can reccomend Flightstore,best price I have seen and delivered next day before 8 AM at normal delivery price.