AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A question, and a few comments  (Read 9684 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: A question, and a few comments
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 11:25:06 PM »
Windows should handle the colour of the cross-hairs automatically.  Mine is white when over a dark colour, turns black when over a light colour, and is grey when over a medium colour.

It must be something in Windows that causes this to happen, not something in RB.

Fenris

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 10:27:07 AM »
Windows should handle the colour of the cross-hairs automatically.  Mine is white when over a dark colour, turns black when over a light colour, and is grey when over a medium colour.

It must be something in Windows that causes this to happen, not something in RB.

Are you using XP or Vista Tarbat?

All the problems I've heard of appear to be in Vista.

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 11:20:21 AM »
Hi All,I have Vista on my laptop all seems fine.
 I can`t get any sense on why the Belkin USB hub keeps crashing, so I just hide in the back room and get nagged for being anti-social!
I`m going to put an aerial outside, SSE-1090SJ mk 2 ANTENNA with Westflex 103 cable anything better?

Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

Fenris

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 11:39:15 AM »
Hi All,I have Vista on my laptop all seems fine.
 I can`t get any sense on why the Belkin USB hub keeps crashing, so I just hide in the back room and get nagged for being anti-social!
I`m going to put an aerial outside, SSE-1090SJ mk 2 ANTENNA with Westflex 103 cable anything better?

How much cable do you anticipate running? If you have less than about 13.5m then its loss will be less than half the 3.5dB loss in the 3m of RG-174 used on the supplied antenna. So what with the improved antenna and greater height, it should be significantly better.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »
Fenris, yes, I'm using Vista, but only the Vista Basic interface, NOT Aero.  Don't know if using Aero makes a difference.

Fenris

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
Fenris, yes, I'm using Vista, but only the Vista Basic interface, NOT Aero.  Don't know if using Aero makes a difference.

I have Vista Home Premium, I suppose I'll have to devote some time to changing a few things and trying them out. I do need to get rid of the transparent look to the window title bars anyway, I really don't like it. Now RB doesn't show this, its window has a black title bar so maybe Airnav are playing some tricks with themes?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 11:51:24 AM »
I also disliked the transparent look, and that also slowed down the PC when coming out of standby.  Turn off the Aero interface to get rid of the transaparent look, and also reduce the CPU load!!

anorak

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »
Hi Fenris, 20 / 25mts max cable run, Westflex are based near enough to collect from and very patient with a techno-dummy.

Fenris

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 12:33:32 PM »
Hi Fenris, 20 / 25mts max cable run, Westflex are based near enough to collect from and very patient with a techno-dummy.

25m of Westflex 103 has a loss of 3.25dB, which is less than the supplied antenna's cable. How easily accessible is the place you intend to put your antenna? If it's really difficult to get to, then if you were to decide you need a preamp after trying just the Westflex then it would be a lot of extra effort.

I've just calculated the change in system noise figure for the difference between a 10m vs 25m run of Westflex using a 0.9dB NF 12 dB gain preamp. It's 0.2dB, which is tiny.

For the cable alone, you lose 3.25-1.3 dB, so 1.95dB. That's getting to the point where you would begin to notice it, but probably only for signals which are quite marginal.

It's hard to give you good advice on this, you might be perfectly happy with a long cable run and no pre-amp, and indeed you might find that spending the money on a preamp would not really improve your coverage very much. If your range is limited by obstructions on the horizon (mine is, as I live in a river valley), a preamp is less effective because without line of sight the path loss increases rapidly. 1.1GHz just won't pass through very much earth!

The best advice is to try and reduce the cable length as much as possible.

anorak

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »
The aerial will be on the chimney on the other side of the bungalow, I hope to keep the cable run to 20 mts and hope Exmoor doesn`t get in the way.
Nice to have friends, thanks.