anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A question, and a few comments  (Read 9685 times)

Fenris

A question, and a few comments
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:19:52 PM »
I've spent a few hours playing with the RB software today, and have spotted a few things which could be clearer or better arranged. So, here goes.

Firstly, what does the Mode-S Maximum Signal Range button on the map tool bar actually do, I'm not clear as to its function.

Next, in the Interface, is there a way to change the order of the columns? I find I'm constantly needing to move left and right to see the information I'm after, even though I have deselected a fair few columns.

If I increase the map size, I also find that some of the buttons in the Interface (like the ADS-B only flights button) disappear from the reachable area, there doesn't seem to be a "container" view which would allow the whole window to scroll. Is there a plan to make this work a little better, I know others have mentioned being able to overlap windows or have a Z-order to allow better use of smaller screen area. I'm using a widescreen laptop, but it's not that big and I don't have a way of having a bigger screen easily.

I also noticed that using Esc to maximise the map, and the reverting it, leads to all sorts of display problems where the map detail selected is lost and all you get is a few tracks plotted with just the aircraft symbol and a data block but nothing else. I managed to restore it, but it needed reloading the default map to do this. A bit annoying (in fact I like the interface data enough to not do this often) but not a major thing for me really.

A suggestion, which I don't know if it has been made before, is I'd like to be able to have a polar diagram that can be split into altitude bands please. May be tricky, but I assume the data for the polar diagram is stored somewhere and isn't so big that 2 or 3 versions of it would be a problem.

A general comment, there is no description of all the fields in the data block, and I'm sure there are some I have not seen yet. So I'd suggest adding something into the manual that covers this.

Enough for now, more comments as I think of them. Sorry! ;-)

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: A question, and a few comments
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 07:56:45 PM »
I also noticed that using Esc to maximise the map

Hi Brian, thanks for that, although I've printed off the manual (at work - 80+ pages!), I've not read it - RB is so user-friendly and intuitive, that I've not needed to refer to it.

A suggestion, which I don't know if it has been made before, is I'd like to be able to have a polar diagram that can be split into altitude bands please.

Enough for now, more comments as I think of them. Sorry!

A layered polar diagram would be a very good idea!

Keep the comments coming, as a newbie, I find most comments in here interesting and instructive.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:02:11 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 08:09:48 PM »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »
Hi Fenris,

Mode-S Maximum Signal Range simply displays a range of 250nm which is about the max you can get a Mode-S signal due to the curavture of the earth, Its just nice to have a polar map and that on to see in the theory if you had a 60ft metres antenna above your house.

The other suggestions or comments have already been brought up by others.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »
Thanks tarbat, downloaded and saved the file.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Fenris

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:54:29 PM »
A layered polar diagram would be a very good idea!

Already available using sbsplotter - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1357.msg10229#msg10229

Excellent, thanks.

Can you tell me how to use it, I assume it has to run all the time RB is running. Does it remember what it's seen?

Fenris

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »
Mode-S Maximum Signal Range simply displays a range of 250nm which is about the max you can get a Mode-S signal due to the curavture of the earth, Its just nice to have a polar map and that on to see in the theory if you had a 60ft metres antenna above your house.

OK, so you mean that if I toggle the button it just resets the range to 250nm? I have it selected all the time at present, and nothing seems to happen, so I assume it's a sort of one shot button. Could it be arranged for it to be shown inactive one the range has changed? At present it has the blue box around it all the time.

Or do I have this confused in my mind?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »
Zoom out untill it shows the UK and Europe, and unselect and select it again and you will see what we mean,
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

jgomberg

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »
... The other suggestions or comments have already been brought up by others...

So has anyone else suggested that the Distance column be reformatted as numeric instead of alphanumeric so that we can sort aircraft by actual mileage (closest to furthest <or vice verse>) rather than by numeric appearance?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:03:22 AM »
Distance can already can be sorted as numeric.  And even filtered on "less than".  I use it on the network view all the time - see screenshot.

Are you running v2.0 2009?

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:01 AM »
Beat me to it - sorts fine for me :-)

jgomberg

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
You are both correct. I just received my unit today and failed to realize I was running v2007. My bad, and I've downloaded and installed v2.0 2009.

So I have to ask if anyone knows how to change the color of the map cursor (cross-hairs). Black on black is fairly difficult to differentiate. I was hoping for a white or yellow cursor.

Any suggestions?

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 10:21:46 AM »
The crosshairs is from your windows setup, you need to alter these.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »
So I have to ask if anyone knows how to change the color of the map cursor (cross-hairs). Black on black is fairly difficult to differentiate. I was hoping for a white or yellow cursor.

Previous discussion on this Windows problem at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.msg4436#msg4436

jgomberg

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »
I was really hoping to avoid reconfiguring an application level cursor at the system level, but if that is my only choice I guess I'm stuck with it.

Thank you