AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox as in-flight traffic spotter?  (Read 3129 times)

SkeptisFromTexas

RadarBox as in-flight traffic spotter?
« on: January 06, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »
In the United States, is there any reason why I couldn't take a RadarBox and a laptop onboard my small plane and use it to see where all the traffic is around me?  A sort of TCAS but with a full display of everything?  Or will I only see the aircraft that have ADS-B? (which are few and far between in the US)

pilot_ngb

Re: RadarBox as in-flight traffic spotter?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
You will only see a small percentage of aircraft. Hardly any GA aircraft are sending out full ADS-B.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:05:13 PM »
In the United States, is there any reason why I couldn't take a RadarBox and a laptop onboard my small plane and use it to see where all the traffic is around me?  A sort of TCAS but with a full display of everything?  Or will I only see the aircraft that have ADS-B? (which are few and far between in the US)

Just remember, it's always the one that you don't see that gets you!

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:46:06 AM »

If don't know if it's the case for RadarBox, but SBS certainly picks up TCAS acquisition squitters.

Having said that, those squitters don't contain any navigational data, so all you would know is that a given hex code is somewhere within range.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour