AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First impressions and antenna question  (Read 2906 times)

Eric

First impressions and antenna question
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:28:46 AM »
Hi all,

Just got RB a few days ago and setting everything up was very easy indeed. I am very impressed by the software and by the overall number of aircraft that are being tracked over the internet. Great product !

However my own standard kit antenna just receives a limited number of aircraft when used indoors. I have tried to change the position but little improvements. As I live on the top floor of an appartment building I do have the opportunity to place the standard antenna up on the roof, but that will require drilling some holes in my window frames, etc. Before I do that, I'd like to make sure that the standard antenna is indeed suitable for outdoor use. I noticed that the manual says so, but it looks so fragile..

Can anyone please confirm that the standard kit antenna will not suffer from the weather (UV, rain, snow, temperatures). Do I need to take specific precautions ?

Thanks.

Eric

Blackthorn

Re: First impressions and antenna question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:21:22 AM »
Hi Eric

From inspection I am fairly certain the kit antenna is not weatherproof.

Kevin

Mark07

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:12:43 PM »
Hi Eric,
I left my standard antenna supplied with the RB out on the conservatory roof for over 2 weeks and it suffered no malfunctions.  There was harsh wind / rain and sleet during this time.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:25:58 PM »
In this thread, http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1904.msg15247#msg15247, AirNav don't recommend permanent outdoor use. You're probably best getting a proper external twig!

Rod
Rod

Eric

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »
Rod,

Following Kevins advice I decided not to place the default antenna outside. Instead I have bought a MD-1100 kit external antenna, which works pretty fine for me now !

Regards,
Eric