AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AirNav ShipTrax AIS Receiver  (Read 25675 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
AirNav ShipTrax AIS Receiver
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:02:51 AM »
We would to update our users on the status of the ShipTrax Project: after several problems with the company that was developing the necessary AIS Receiver (that caused all the delays already explained on this forum) we decided to outsource this development task to a different company, already experienced in this area.

The good news is that we will develop the first AIS receiver available on the market including all the 4 features below:
- Dual-channel (receives the 2 AIS frequencies at the same time);
- Ethernet output;
- RS232 output;
- USB output;

Unfortunately the bad news is that the release date is estimated to be around the end of April so 3 more months of waiting. This is now and finally a fixed release date as the new contract is already signed.

Anyway make sure we are doing our best to develop the best ever AIS and Ship Tracking system available.

Again thanks for your understating in this matter. I'm sure you will all be addicted to this system as the quality is very similar to the successful AirNav RadarBox.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:47:50 AM by AirNav Development »

cosmoc

Re: AirNav ShipTrax AIS Receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:46:43 AM »
sounds great that it is almost here.
Any chance of more screen shots? :-)

BobR

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »
That's good news. Are you able to give us an idea of a final likely price or is this still being worked on.

Thanks.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »
Not yet decided.

VK2GEL

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »
Gday,

May I please request that AirNav's AIS receiver has the ability to send its data to any ip/port directly, without the requirement for a local PC.

This greatly improves the reliability of unattended sites that are by virtue of their remoteness, excellent receiving sites.

I currently achieve this with small serial to ethernet device server boxes like this http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=190

The ability to send data from your receiver to any, not just AirNav, servers will increase its sales potential. In other words, please don't lock its output just to AirNav servers.

Regards, Grant. Sydney.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:41:06 PM by VK2GEL »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »
"May I please request that AirNav's AIS receiver has the ability to send its data to any ip/port directly, without the requirement for a local PC."

Bingo. It will be the first AIS receiver capable of doing that without external hardware. And more to come...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 07:41:19 AM »
Unfortunately the bad news is that the release date is estimated to be around the end of April so 3 more months of waiting. This is now and finally a fixed release date as the new contract is already signed.

Is this still on schedule for release in April?  And will we be able to pre-order to ensure we get ShipTrax by the end of the month?

Peter

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 12:30:47 PM »
The absence of a reply to Tarbat's question makes me wonder! Maybe it's been slipped onto the backburner until the economy picks up?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 01:28:21 PM »
At present the Hardware units for Ship Tracker are being built so should not be long now.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Peter

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 05:30:40 PM »
Thanks AirNav, that is good news and I am sure that many people like myself are waiting to see it for real

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 03:04:24 PM »
Any news?  We're expecting 22 ships in my area for Exercise Joint Warrior, starting on 11th May.  Will I be able to order and receive a Shiptrax by 11th May?

Otherwise I might have to finally buy another AIS receiver and use ShipPlotter instead, but I'd much rather use an Airnav product.

Anyone know if submarines transmit AIS ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:06:17 PM by tarbat »

Yachtie45

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 09:50:55 PM »
Hi Tarbat

why not wait for it then to have a real dual channel product
and use shipplotter via scanner and soundcard or even two for CHA A and B if
you are afraid of missing one single burst.
Have the ITU MMSI Lookup Site handy for all the unknowns yet !

As far as Subs are concerned, sure they do -

1  if they want to ...
2  if they are afraid of being overrun by an unmanned-bridge-low-cost-trader on A/P
but not
if they can outrun the numerous Russian River/Coasters pottering around at 6kts,
finally not when submerged
(I could not resist)

Wish I could be w/i Range there
do you know the aprx box coordinates of exercise ?

Rgds
Klaus

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »
Otherwise I might have to finally buy another AIS receiver and use ShipPlotter instead, but I'd much rather use an Airnav product.

Okay, looks like ShipTrax isn't going to be available as I'd hoped for the Joint Warrior exercise.

So, if I buy, say, a Comar AIS-2-USB AIS receiver, and use that with ShipPlotter.  Will I then be able to use this with the ShipTrax software when it's released?  Or does ShipTrax only work with the Airnav AIS receiver?

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »
We will release the software only when the hardware is out but, unlike RadarBox, the software will work with any receiver.

VK2GEL

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »
"This is now and finally a fixed release date"

Any update please?

As an aside, if you are still developing the specs, the new Raymarine AIS500 Class B has an antenna splitter that avoids the need for a second VHF antenna. An inbuilt splitter and/or amp would be handy:

http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTION=2&PAGE=1718&PRODUCT=4293