AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox - RF specifications?  (Read 10791 times)

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
Re: Radarbox - RF specifications?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »
Brian,

I see what you are aiming at now. Fair enough. If you can calculate the insertion loss versus gain and save yourself some money then that is of course entirely sensible and I'm sure we will all learn from your findings.

I apologise if my tone in my first post seemed too critical. I'd just been reading more of the diatribes on www.dpreview.com. There are now so many people on there who seem to want to spend all the time testing cameras and lenses as opposed to actually taking photographs and who feel that only the latest mega mega pixel camera is worth having. BTW they are known to the rest of us as 'measurebators'. :-)
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

flightchecker

Re: Radarbox - RF specifications?
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 01:52:56 PM »
We all have different views of the level of interest to be found with a slightly technical hobby!

"Wise words" that should seize our "discussion"  gentlemen, hope you think about as I do.
Finally, it's not at all "commercial equipment" that we are talking about, halfway between such and consumer's one if you agree.

Maybe a "last word" concerning a preamp Brian: "being in virtual radar business" since about more than two years, I would recommend running RB without any preamp first of all, if the feeder cable does not exceed a lenght of about 10 to 12 meters, (provided high quality low loss Coax [like f.i. the "Ecoflex 10", roughly inserting about 1,2db of attenuation at the mentioned length and at frequencies it is about]) and then "see what happens". As "we techies" (my apalogizes to all "non t....") know: "a good antenna uses to be the best RF amplifier", and even the best RF preamp cannot get rid of obstacles in the vicinity, that attenuate radiosignals travelling under "line of sight conditions", as, among others, a/c transponder signals too do.

So again: "seize fire", and let's see what's coming next.

Karl
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:29:09 AM by flightchecker »