anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: updating photos - how does it work  (Read 12874 times)

ACW367

updating photos - how does it work
« on: January 02, 2009, 01:24:44 PM »
Airnav support - I am an experienced user and i am trying to establish exactly how does the search of the airliners.net photo database work.  Apologies that this is a long post. I have two queries

1)   The first is that I have been trying to update many photos where the airliners have changed owner/livery, like the easyjet G-TT** airbuses or the ex FCA aircraft now in TCX livery.  I only display one photo and don't use the option to have two.

A good example is G-TTIF, there are now 3 pics of it in Easyjet livery in Airliners.

I have tried the following and each time when I next pick it up, it searches the airliners site and finds an old Feb 2008 picture in BA livery which also updates the airline field to GB Airways/BA.

1st attempt - I have deleted the thumbnail from the photo file on the C: drive.  Then I deleted all data in AC, PT, LK, PT2 and LK2 for that record. No joy.

Next time I deleted the thumbnail and the whole record. No joy

Next I manually copied a thumbnail of the easyjet picture on airliners onto my C: drive (renaming the file to the registration). This gave me the correct picture but without the extra details next to the picture like airline and construction number.

How do I get the airliners.net photo search to give me a later picture than the one I originally downloaded, which shows the latest owner/colourscheme.

2) Often newly delivered aircraft are populated into Navdata.  As they are newly delivered there is obviously no pictures on airliners and you get the "photo not available" message. No problem with that.  However Navdata then puts pink squares in PT, LK, PT2 and LK2 . This means that everytime I pick up these aircraft it doesn't go looking at airliners.net. 

However after a short while or so, Airliners.net will start getting photos of these newly delivered aircraft, but because the pink squares never go away in Navdata, Radarbox will never search for them.  The only way that I can delete the pink squares and get Radarbox to search for the newly available pic is to click 'edit cell' on each square, then input a space and then delete that space, leaving the field blank. This is the only way I have found to turn the field from pink to white so that it searches airliners.net for available pics. 

Is there any way in the next issue that you can get pink fields in navdata to timeout after a week, in order that it does a search of the databases again to see if the info is now available.

abrad41

Re: updating photos - how does it work
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 01:35:49 PM »
Agree - this is a simular problem to the post about the Navdata.db3 file mentioned below

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1923.0

Filling in spaces and not allowing to populate.

Andy

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »
ACW367,

1.) As far as I am aware the picture from airliners is not the latest but the most popular for that aircraft.

2.) We will investigate this.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

ACW367

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »
ACW367,

1.) As far as I am aware the picture from airliners is not the latest but the most popular for that aircraft.

That will be why I keep getting arty night shots and cockpit shots instead of the standard side view.  If i'm desperate for a different picture or an updated colourscheme, I guess I will just have to view the relevant picture lots of times on airliners.net first.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »
ACW367,

That will be why I keep getting arty night shots and cockpit shots instead of the standard side view.  If i'm desperate for a different picture or an updated colourscheme, I guess I will just have to view the relevant picture lots of times on airliners.net first.

Using your choice of thumbnail pictures is very easy, you just save these into the Data/Photo/ directory in the form:

G-ZZMM.jpg

G-ZZMM,2.jpg

You can also put your own http:// links into NavData.db3 using Database Explorer in LK1 and LK2.

These will not be overwritten by autopopulate.

ACW367

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »

Using your choice of thumbnail pictures is very easy, you just save these into the Data/Photo/ directory in the form:

G-ZZMM.jpg

G-ZZMM,2.jpg

You can also put your own http:// links into NavData.db3 using Database Explorer in LK1 and LK2.

These will not be overwritten by autopopulate.
[/quote]

Allocator

I have already tried that. And I use this method to get pictures for the GAF aircraft with their iron cross marking.  It at least gives me the correct aircraft photo, but then in the columns next to the picture it doesn't populate things like the C/N and aircraft type long name because it then doesn't refer back to airliners.net.  Will I have to manually enter those as well.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »
I let RB auto-populate the data and photo(s) and only then do I put the thumbnails of my choice in the Photo/ directory and manually correct the records, so then they are 100%.  By doing this as I pick the aircraft up, I'm not doing them all at once.

I get details that are missing from the GAS database from airframes.org

Blackthorn

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
I do the same as Allocator after following a previous post, I replace the thumbnails with those of my own images from Ailiners .net then update the link and photographer in the database leaving the other records untouched.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »
I do the same.  Although I can't be bothered to update the link and photographer in the database, and it doesn't appear to cause any problems.

Bat 21

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:44:50 AM »
I was wondering about the pics also

I do a bit of aviation photography myself & have some pics on Airliners.net - some of which I see popping up on my radar box.

I am not sure it is the most popular that radar box uses but possibly a random selection.

One thing that did puzzle me was a recent new addition to the BA fleet G-EUYC an A320 just delivered before xmas - a plane I photographed at Edinburgh on Dec 20th & was accepted to Airliner.net, - I often pick it up on shuttle flights but radar box says no picture available ! - however I know there is a grand total of 1 pic of it on airliners.net to date - taken by yours truly .

ACW367

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 01:24:06 PM »
I was wondering about the pics also

I do a bit of aviation photography myself & have some pics on Airliners.net - some of which I see popping up on my radar box.

I am not sure it is the most popular that radar box uses but possibly a random selection.

One thing that did puzzle me was a recent new addition to the BA fleet G-EUYC an A320 just delivered before xmas - a plane I photographed at Edinburgh on Dec 20th & was accepted to Airliner.net, - I often pick it up on shuttle flights but radar box says no picture available ! - however I know there is a grand total of 1 pic of it on airliners.net to date - taken by yours truly .

Bat21

This is my second Q that Airnav have noted and will investigate.  If you go to database explorer and search for the aircraft, you will see the PT and LK fields are in pink. Therefore it doesn't initiate a re-search of airliners.net. If you edit the pink cells, add any random letters into the field, then immediately delete all those letters. This will turn the cell from pink to grey, which in turn will mean that next time you pick up the aircraft it does a search on airliners and will find your pic.

If you scroll to the bottom of the database explorer when on the 'show all' screen. You will see hundreds of records with the pink in the PT and LK fields that will never search for the airliners.net photos, unless you carry out the steps above.

Bat 21

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
Thanks ACW367,

I see what you mean - tried the edit on G-EUYC in my db - got the fields empty & white following your guide.

Found G-EUYC heading into Heathrow this morning & double clicked on it - airnav tried to download a photo but then gave photo not available message ?

Bat21

Blackthorn

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »
Thanks ACW367,

I see what you mean - tried the edit on G-EUYC in my db - got the fields empty & white following your guide.

Found G-EUYC heading into Heathrow this morning & double clicked on it - airnav tried to download a photo but then gave photo not available message ?

Bat21

The airliners.net site has had server issues today so that may be the reason.

Each time I pick up an aircraft that I already have on airliners.net I just manually edit the link via database explorer.