anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Live reception/network reception - what happens at the join?  (Read 28351 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Live reception/network reception - what happens at the join?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 10:28:21 AM »
Blackthorn, just to check, you are waiting at least 5 minutes for it to appear on the network?  When my local aircraft transition to network, it normally takes 5-6 minutes for the aircraft to appear.  There's the 5 minute delay, and then the network only updates every minute.

And then there's the 2 minutes of local timout in your settings.

Blackthorn

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »
No if I don't switch of local it does not reappear on the Network so if I am tracking a flight and I lose it I then disable local flights wait approx five minutes and up it pops.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 10:37:29 AM »
There might just be something in this.  Following my EZY38CR from live to Network, it disappeared from live at 1020 UTC and by 1029 it hadn't reappeared on the Network.  I deselected Process Hardware Flights and it appeared as a Network track - of course, it might have reappeared anyway without switching off Process Hardware - who's to know!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3254/3149608483_c0d9294419_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/3150441072_fdaa043496_o.jpg

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »
Allocator, I've seen that effect also.  I suspect that you're picking up your own traffic echoed back on the network, delayed 5 minutes.  I tried this with an aircraft on approach to Aberdeen.  By switching local on and off, I could get the aircraft's altitude to change even though the aircraft remained in exactly the same position.  I put this down to the different QNH settings for my location vs. the location of the other user receiving this aircraft.

Turning ON local traffic forces RB to use the other users sharing.  Turning OFF local traffic allows RB to use my 5-minuted delayed feed to echo back onto my own map.  With a couple of minutes of timeout also factored in.   If that makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:49:42 AM by tarbat »

Blackthorn

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »
In the case of the COA I tracked I lost it on local overhead Grimsby (Max range for me), I switched off local and switched it back on 6 mins later it reappear on network just East of Grimsby and I tracked it all the way to Schipol where it has just landed.

Allocator

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
In the case of the COA I tracked I lost it on local overhead Grimsby (Max range for me), I switched off local and switched it back on 6 mins later it reappear on network just East of Grimsby and I tracked it all the way to Schipol where it has just landed.

The true test is to just leave Hardware Processing on and wait until the aircraft appears on the Network - 6 minutes is just too close to the 5 minute Network delayed time.

The trouble is here, that no two aircraft will be the same, so it's difficult to tell if the aircraft is appearing because of what you are doing, or if it was about to appear anyway :-)

Blackthorn

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »

The true test is to just leave Hardware Processing on and wait until the aircraft appears on the Network - 6 minutes is just too close to the 5 minute Network delayed time.

The trouble is here, that no two aircraft will be the same, so it's difficult to tell if the aircraft is appearing because of what you are doing, or if it was about to appear anyway :-)

Okay Allocator, I will pick a flight and track it leaving local on.

Tracking CSA643 west/east overhead Doncaster

Lost local at 11:03

Report back soon.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:04:17 AM by Blackthorn »

Allocator

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
I can see CSA643 at 11:10 - looks like it's been there for 2 or 3 Network updates?  FL339 and climbing.

Blackthorn

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 11:15:19 AM »
It is not there for me after 10 mins just switched off local and it has appeared over the North Norfolk Coast.

Blackthorn

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 11:16:20 AM »
So for some reason the transition from Local to Network does not happen for me but at least I know all I have to do is switch off local flights.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
But it would be better if we can establish why it's not working for you, whereas it works okay for other users.  At least then Airnav might be able to fix it.

Allocator

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »
To see where the aircraft is on the Network, use the AirNav Live Flight Tracker:

http://www.ruyton.demon.co.uk/html/live_flight_tracker.html

I'm doing that right now with TOM385 which still hasn't reappeared south of BCN having gone through my overhead - it's there on Live Flight Tracker.

Deadcalm

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Allocator, when I track an aircraft live, for example, going north towards the UK, I'll normally lose it (because of terrain) around the Loire valley - Angers, Tours area (dependent on it's Flight Level).  When it reappears as a network flight (if it ever does) it's normally approaching the Isle of Wight, so I suppose that's getting on for 200 miles.  The reverse is true for southbounds.  There is usually other networked traffic present in the area at the time, and I would expect to see my target aircraft much earlier

Blackthorn, it may well be things can be improved by virtue of temporarily switching off local and switching it back on again, but not always.  This is the subject of many postings and a long-awaited fix!

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Allocator

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »
OK, followed TOM385 on Live Flight Tracker until it was off the south coast of the UK, nothing on RB.  Deselected Process Hardware Flights and Bingo, TOM385 reappeared as a RB Network track.

I can't say I've noticed this happening before, so maybe it's a server logic thing?

Blackthorn

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »
Okay now tracking KLM686 over Cheshire 11:27

Lost flight over Cranwell at 11:35
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:36:12 AM by Blackthorn »