AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using Radar Box whilst ON an aircraft  (Read 3267 times)

bailey_uk

Using Radar Box whilst ON an aircraft
« on: December 23, 2008, 07:24:28 PM »
Hey folks, flew from Manchester to Barbados on Monday, and the temptation got too much to load up my Laptop and RB whilst in the middle of the atlantic and see what I could pick up!

The flight itself came up, showing correctly, but no other aircraft did, even when I could see them out of the window.

Was something id always wanted to do!

Anybody else done this?
Possibly the youngest RadarBox Owner!

marcdeklerk

Re: Using Radar Box whilst ON an aircraft
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »
Jip a few times from the cockpit!!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »
A few others have done this as well and have picked up other aircraft. You may just have been unlucky in where you placed in the aircraft that ADS-B signals from others may have got blocked.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

drskeptical

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »
Hey folks, flew from Manchester to Barbados on Monday, and the temptation got too much to load up my Laptop and RB whilst in the middle of the atlantic and see what I could pick up!

The flight itself came up, showing correctly, but no other aircraft did, even when I could see them out of the window.

Was something id always wanted to do!

Anybody else done this?

Hi bailey_uk
Many years ago I experimented with a new (then) GPS receiver I picked up from the USA. I was trying to watch our speed and direction whilst in flight returning home. It just did not work. I couldn't get any kind of fix. I put it down to being in a Faraday cage. Although there are windows in the side of the aircraft I suspect that there just is not enough signal. You picked up your flight ok, most probably because the field strength of the planes signal would have been very strong.
Next time you could always try winding down the window and placing the aerial on the fuselage... Mind you this could have some serious implications!!!