AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: which to buy?  (Read 11286 times)

davjhedges

which to buy?
« on: December 21, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »
since my last post I have been on to the other sides forum, and associated websites etc.it seems the sbs needs a lot of third party addons to customise it,and a fair bit of file editing knowledge. With the latest version there is ethernet built in, but no wider network coverage,but I suppose with the necessary add ons sbs offers more or less the same package ,eg alerts ,aircraft pictures etc.one thing sbs does offer is a radio interface,albeit with a very narrow choiceof air band receiver,are there any plans to implement such an interface on the anrb?thx

Terry

Re: which to buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 11:19:09 PM »
hi there,
            just a quick hello to you and seen your topic,go to the topic SBS1 v RB,there are a few nice bits of info if your interested in which system to buy,i have both and give honest opinion on this topic,hope this helps,

Regards Terry.

cosmoc

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 11:20:31 PM »
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1851.0
try the  above thread if you haven't already :-)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:20:14 AM »

pilot_ngb

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »
Unless you are buying the SBS-e version and prepared to isntall 3rd party software, you should buy RB.

If I had the money today I would buy RB.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »
davjhedges, what air band receiver are you using?

I don't think Airnav have any plans to develop a radio interface.  I use a UBC800, and there's a free radio interface available for that anyway.

[attachment deleted by admin]

peteeds

• RADIO AMATEUR (2W1FJZ - MW3PET )
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:40:01 PM »
Dave, I am running both systems here, I have had the sbs since early 2006. I have downloaded a lot of third party add ons & quite frankly got into all kind of problems, I can only track live aircraft  passing over my location with it. I knew that before I bought it. I have spent about 1k trying to improve my system and probably only gained about 20 nautical miles of reception, I bit the bullet about a month ago & opted for the RB. Bingo it was like hitting the jackpot on the lottery. Everything I wanted bundled in one package. I can now track the bellugas which are my main interest all over europe and I can now see over the hill behind me into Harden & watch them come & go down to ground level, Brilliant. The alert system is great also, so for me there is no contest RB wins hands down. You get a hell of a lot more for a hell of a lot less. One problem, Airnav really should put a warning on their packaging, Beware this can be  seriously addictive.

Go for it.  Peteeds.

davjhedges

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
tarbat:- thx for your reply, i have not got a receiver at present,but would like to run one alongside the anrb,so i can listen to air band chatter whilst using the rb.perhaps i ought to get to know the rb first off,and add a receiver later.possibly you could recommend one? thx

sorry to be late replying,I have just got in from work,thx guys for all your input,looks like there is no contest,will purchase a anrb asap if i can find any stock .thx again, and happy Christmas.will post my progress as and when.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:36:39 PM by davjhedges »

Blackthorn

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:05:52 PM »
I use a computer controlled Icom ICR-1500 this works well when used along side my radarbox I know others on the forum have the same receiver.

davjhedges

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 04:23:23 PM »
thx for that blackthorn,price may be an issue here,but if it works well,will shortlist it.

Blackthorn

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »
I had lots of VHF back ground interference with my Bearcat 785XLT but from past experience  having used many radio receivers I decided to purchase the ICR1500 and I think you get what you pay for.

The receive quality is not far short of my AOR5000 and Icom 8500 that I sold a few years back, the only drawback is you need your PC on to use the ICR1500 but they do sell a version with a remote head for use without a PC.

davjhedges

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 11:00:08 PM »
thx blackthorn.i have several pcs,intend to run radar box on a clean  install on a dedicated pc,so there are[hopefully] no conflicts.maybe install the icr1500 on the same pc ,or have it on a seperate pc with a seperate screen next to the anbr screen .incidently, one of the receivers i am looking at is [was]the 785 xlt.
,perhaps have to dig a bit deeper.thx again

Blackthorn

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »
Hi Davjhedges

The 785 is a good receiver but lack of filtering means if you live in an area of transmitters like I do then  there is a chance of breakthrough. In my case the breakthrough was on VHF airband :-(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:22:19 AM by Blackthorn »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
davjhedges , I use a Uniden UBC800XLT, and control through my PC using bctools - which is free from http://www.bctool.org/

It's a good solution if you want a standalone scanner that can also be managed/controlled on a PC.

Blackthorn

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »
Hi Tarbat

I use BCtools to program my UBC3500XLT what a great program and its free!