anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEW HEX CODES  (Read 8438 times)

ig

NEW HEX CODES
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:10:37 PM »
Not all of aircraft on my Radar Box shows the registration, presuming that these are new aircraft, how do I update these for future use please?

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: NEW HEX CODES
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »
Are you running RadarBox with an Internet connection

Providing you are using the latest version of the software (RadarBox 2009) and you have "Download Photos" selected in preferences, then the Auto Populate function of RadarBox will fill in the blanks.

Of course, there will always be some aircraft where the details are not on the AirNav server and therefore don't get populated.

Tramline

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:48:13 PM »
Are you running RadarBox with an Internet connection

Providing you are using the latest version of the software (RadarBox 2009) and you have "Download Photos" selected in preferences, then the Auto Populate function of RadarBox will fill in the blanks.

Of course, there will always be some aircraft where the details are not on the AirNav server and therefore don't get populated.

Do you have to 'enable' Autopopulate or does it download via the internet without prompting?
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »
It needs Download Photos to be active.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

ig

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:00:50 AM »
Thank you, do I understand that all aircraft are already listed and only new aircraft or those that change the codes will be populated from the server?
What happens if I'm not connected to the internet or if I'm in a foreign country?

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »
Thank you, do I understand that all aircraft are already listed and only new aircraft or those that change the codes will be populated from the server?
What happens if I'm not connected to the internet or if I'm in a foreign country?

RadarBox comes with a very large and comprehensive database.  However, like all databases that store changing information, it will be out of date as soon as it is released.  This means that if you never connected your PC running RadarBox to the Internet, you would get the vast majority of aircraft details from the database that comes with RB.  Of course, not all aircraft would show, as the newer aircraft might not have been around when the database was created.  Also, there will be aircraft in the database that are no longer flying and their Mode S codes might have been reallocated to new aircraft.  So the situation would be:

- some aircraft details would be correct

- some aircraft details would be wrong

- some aircraft would show no details at all

This will be the same wherever you use RB in the world, although there might be fewer aircraft details showing if you are in one of the more "remote" parts of the world.

Now, if you connect to the Internet and RB picks up an aircraft without details, either live or by the network, then RB will look at the database on the AirNav server and see if the details are there.  If they are, then the RB database on you PC will be autopopulated.

If you disconnect from the Internet and use your RB without the connection, all those records are still there in the database, including the autopopulated records, so you will at least see all the aircraft details you already have.  You will get no details for "new" aircraft as you're not connected to the Internet.

When you connect to the Internet again, autopopulate will start working again.

This is complicated a bit as if you have a partial record already in the RB database - say with the aircraft type as "..." then this record will not be overwritten by the autopopulate function.  This is how it should work really, as if you had made a manual edit to a record, you wouldn't  want that overwritten with information from the Server.

OK, I hope that explains it.  A lot of people seem to be upset by the "incomplete" or "incorrect" data in the RB and/or server database, but as the source databases are usually populated manually by unpaid aircraft enthusiasts, you get what to get - for free!

I'm sure that it would be possible to pay for 100% correct database records from the registration authorities, but can you imagine the cost :-(

I enjoy finding those wrong details in the database and correcting them manually.  Many of the military aircraft I track aren't in any of the databases and that makes it even more interesting :-)

ig

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:58:31 PM »
Hi Allocator,
 Thanks for explaining that.
As I'm sharing this between my deesktop & laptop PC's , If new aircraft have been populated on my desktop PC, is there a file I can copy to my laptop or do I have to start again on that?
Likewise, can I copy my alerts file too?

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:10:22 AM »
You can't copy your alerts, but you can copy your master database which is NavData.db3.

This is the source database that fills in aircraft details in MyLog and the aircraft list.  You could copy MyLog.db3 as well if you wanted to keep one database of all the aircraft you have picked up.  I stared off copying MyLog, but I just got confused in the end so I don't bother now.

The files are in the AirNav RadarBox 2009/Data directory.

ig

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:38:24 AM »
Thanks again

dudbaker

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »
Hi

With autopopulate is it necessary to manual populate.  I go into mylog then tools the populate but is this necessary?
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 02:53:05 PM »
Manual populate only populates the records in the MyLog database.  MyLog is completely separate from the main NavData database, so using populate in Mylog only "fills in the blanks" for aircraft that you have already seen - it will not affect what you see in the MyFlights and Network lists.

MyLog gets it's data from NavData in the same way that MyFlights and Network do.  The autopopulate function only populates NavData.