anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting One!!!  (Read 30296 times)

jonjorobb

Getting One!!!
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »
Hi All!

Ive saved up enough money to buy one, and just wondering if anyone around Leeds Bradford has any experiance with reception, Screenshots or polar Diagrams?

Thanks,
Jonjo

mdobuk21

Re: Getting One!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:00:41 PM »
hi mate, yeah ive got one, based in Pudsey bout 7 miles from LBA, checkout the screenshot forum for a shot of my reception!!

Mark

jonjorobb

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:09:05 PM »
Thanks, just seen it. where i am there is a bit of a hill between me and LBA, but im more interested in the High Level stuff, so that wont matter. on the scanner i can here LBA APP pilots only till Landing Clearance, so hope i will be able to see this far aswell as here!

Thanks,
Jonjo

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »
You will be familiar with the expression "location, location, location".

Well you need to look at each of these three separately to assess the likely performance of a Mode S receiver:

1) what obstructions (houses, etc) are there in your immediate vicinity?

2) what topographical features (i.e. hills) are there in the surrounding area?

3) what aircraft actually fly over the part of the country that you're in?

Comparing polar plots with other users in the same area will give you a good idea of (2) and (3), but it probably won't give you much help with (1)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

jonjorobb

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »
Thanks for all your replys - i got it yesterday, AMAZING!!! - now i know that LACC S4 hand A/C to scottish strait over my house!

totally addicted, but one question, will all aircraft switch to Mode S and then we will never see any on radar?

Thanks,
Jonjo

DaveReid

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »
totally addicted, but one question, will all aircraft switch to Mode S and then we will never see any on radar?

If you mean aircraft abandoning ADS-B for plain Mode S, I can't see any reason why that should happen.

Why do you ask ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

jonjorobb

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 09:18:48 AM »
Its just that i thought that Flybe had changed over to Mode-S and abandoned ADS-B, and others would follow

I am not to sure on this subject of ADS-B and Mode S!

Thanks
Jonjo

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:36:31 AM »
Most of the adverts I've seen in the General Aviation magazines for Mode S boxes for aircraft, say "Full ADS-B Capability" which means that it's there if you want your aircraft to send position information.

I think that's it's fairly unlikely that manufacturers are going to sell Mode S boxes without the upgrade capability - that wouldn't make any sense.  ADS-B is going to be the next big thing and if you want to fly in certain controlled airspace (the London TMA for example) then you have to have it as it lets the controllers see the height the pilot has set on the autopilot.  It's prevented many "level busts" when the aircraft climbs/descends to the wrong level.

See the Favourites on the AirNav YouTube Channel.  There is discussion of ADS-B there:

http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=AirNavTeam&view=favorites
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:38:44 AM by Allocator »

jonjorobb

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »
Thanks for that - Does this mean that Flybe and "Swallow" (forgotten the airline name) will have to upgrade eventully?

Thanks
Jonjo

Allocator

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »
Thanks for that - Does this mean that Flybe and "Swallow" (forgotten the airline name) will have to upgrade eventully?

Thanks
Jonjo

Now, if you knew the answer to that question, you might be able to make some money!  The whole Mode S ADS-B story is somewhat complicated.  Here in the UK, as long as you stay outside Controlled Airspace and below FL100, you don't even need a radio in an aircraft, let alone a Mode 3A SSR Transponder - so you certainly don't need a Mode S box or ADS-B!  It appears that eventually it will be a requirement for all commercial aircraft to be fitted for ADS-B, but this will cost the operators money, so the justification has to be there.  It's a bit like saying that you should have GPS Navigation and traffic congestion equipment in your car as this will save fuel in the long run.  However, you can drive your car quite happily without it, so where is the advantage to you from spending all that money!

See the thread below regarding the ADS-B situation in Europe:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1201.0

DaveReid

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »
ADS-B is going to be the next big thing and if you want to fly in certain controlled airspace (the London TMA for example) then you have to have it as it lets the controllers see the height the pilot has set on the autopilot.  It's prevented many "level busts" when the aircraft climbs/descends to the wrong level.

No, you're mixing up two different things.  Download parameters such as selected flight level are transmitted as part of a Mode S interrogation response and are nothing to do with ADS-B squitters. 

HTH
Dave

Allocator

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 01:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Dave.

jonjorobb

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 07:15:05 PM »
OK - so does anyone know if: (new user - LOTS of questions!)

1) ADS-B will become mandatory (e.g. we SEE Everything)

2) Flybe and Air Southwest are planning to upgrade to ADS-B

Thanks again for all your replies.
Jonjo

Allocator

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 07:18:49 PM »
Johnjo, did you see my post above and the link to the ADS-B thread?  This will answer some of your questions.

Also:

1. Maybe eventually, but no time soon.  Definitely not for GA traffic (light aircraft and helicopters).

2. No idea, maybe you could email them.  If you tell them that you are a spotter they might just tell you.

jonjorobb

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »
OK - I might just do that, so the general idea is that as time goes on, i will see the same/slightley more amount of traffic, and that ADS-B is a long term thing, and not going to get scrapped in two years time

Is that right? :)

Thanks,
Jonjo