AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aircraft Information Display on Radar  (Read 7957 times)

Tailwinds

Aircraft Information Display on Radar
« on: December 12, 2008, 02:05:50 PM »
Am I getting paranoid here? I've never noticed it before but quite often, the four lines of information seem to be too far away from the aircraft symbol making it difficult sometimes to discern which one it is I'm looking at. I appreciate when it's crowded that the information has to move around a bit but it's also noticable when the gaps between aircraft are large enough that the information should be a lot closer.

Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Aircraft Information Display on Radar
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »
Possibly slightly paranoid ;-)

Remember that you can move the label yourself by holding Shift down and clicking where you want it to go - it's quite fun, actually!

Rod
Rod

abrad41

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »
Hi Rod

I never new that you could do that, and you are right, it is fun and strange at the same time.

Cheers

Andy

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:00:18 PM »
Just as a side note AirNav Systems has been the first company ever to develop this label overlapping avoidance routines into Windows software. They were introduced 7 years ago on our AirNav Live Flight Tracker application.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 05:20:11 PM »
Am I getting paranoid here? I've never noticed it before but quite often, the four lines of information seem to be too far away from the aircraft symbol making it difficult sometimes to discern which one it is I'm looking at. I appreciate when it's crowded that the information has to move around a bit but it's also noticable when the gaps between aircraft are large enough that the information should be a lot closer.

Have you changed fonts?  It looks like the gaps between the lines of data are bigger too.  Maybe the distance from the label connecting line is affected by the font size?

paul5m

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 05:43:05 PM »
hello

The text appears to be fitted into an invisable box with a left alignement
If the text size is reduced then there is a larger gap between the right side of the text and the right side of the box.

When the label is above, below or to the right then the label shows correctly, but when the label is to the left then the aircraft and label are seperated making it difficult to follow an aircraft in traffic.

Regards

Paul

ACW367

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 07:12:22 PM »
What is the default font.  I have recently been playing with other fonts and think overall I prefer the original. Trouble is I now cant remember what the original was.

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
Terminal Font size 8 - I think?

Blackthorn

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »
I was playing around with the font size after reading yesterdays posts and I had strange things happening to the tracking lines so I reverted back to Terminal 8.

Tailwinds

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »
Have you changed fonts?  It looks like the gaps between the lines of data are bigger too.  Maybe the distance from the label connecting line is affected by the font size?

Yes, I changed the font size as the default was a little small for my ageing eyes. I'll go back to default and see if it goes back to normal. There's definitely not something right here as it is at the moment. Strange thing is, I've had this change of font for a while now and I don't recall such big gaps between the connecting line and info before. It only happens to some of the aircraft on the Radar as opposed to all of them which makes it even more bizarre.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 08:56:28 PM by Tailwinds »

Tailwinds

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 09:06:30 PM »

The text appears to be fitted into an invisable box with a left alignement
If the text size is reduced then there is a larger gap between the right side of the text and the right side of the box.

When the label is above, below or to the right then the label shows correctly, but when the label is to the left then the aircraft and label are seperated making it difficult to follow an aircraft in traffic.

Thanks Paul. Very well observed. Yes, looking at my screenshot above, it does seem to only happen when the label is to the left of the aircraft and is therefore too far away from the aircraft symbol. This does indeed make it very difficult, especially when it gets a bit crowded, to discern just exacly which label goes with which aircraft.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 09:35:12 PM »
I guess this is because your chosen font is so narrow. If it's being left-aligned in the invisible label-holding box, and it's effectively shrunk, it will be a long way from the right-hand side of the box, and therefore from the line connecting it to the aircraft.

That explains why it only happens when the label is on the left of the plane.

Rod
Rod

Tailwinds

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »
My chosen font is not narrow although it does look like that on the screenshot. My chosen font has actually increased in size from the default Terminal 8 to Times New Roman 10. The font has increased slightly with a bigger space between each of the four lines of label information. I've just been playing with the fonts. The smaller the number, the closer it gets. the larger the number, the further away the label is from the aircraft when it is showing on the left hand side of the aircraft symbol.

Allocator

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 10:27:27 PM »
The problem with Times New Roman is that it's not proportional - different letters are different widths - so I'd guess that the letters are "closing up" in the text box allocated by RadarBox for the label.

Tailwinds

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 10:49:42 PM »
I've just been looking in the Screenshot section of this forum and noticed that all the ANRB users who have increased their font size also have the same effect of being further away when the label is showing on the left side of the aircraft symbol. The labels are otherwise perfectly fine when displaying from the right side, or above and below. I've gone back to my chosen front of Times New Roman 10 as I can read it comfortably. At least I know what the solution is now. At first, I thought something was going wrong with my box. It's strange how things can go unnoticed for weeks.