AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aircraft Dropping Off  (Read 4828 times)

JRS98

Aircraft Dropping Off
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:38:22 AM »
The last few days Ive been having a problem with aircraft dropping off the map and the list. They usually pop up again a few seconds later. It's not because their out of range so I'm wondering what's going on. The connections seem to be fine. Anyone else experience this?
Thanks

Blackthorn

Re: Aircraft Dropping Off
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:56:22 AM »
Are you losing reception of them and they are timing out?

Perhaps there is something blocking the signal in certain directions? Are you losing contact with aircraft in the same specific area?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:28:39 AM by Blackthorn »

JRS98

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:50:27 AM »
Blackthorn,

They disappear for a few seconds or so then reappear. They're not out of range and it happens in any area. It's not just the ADS-B equipped but also aircraft just showing in the list. Just started happening yesterday. Same thing when I went mobile earlier too. There seems to be some kind of "flickering" going on with the software that wasn't happening before either. It's like the RB just isn't holding the signal I guess you can say.
Thanks

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:27:49 AM »
Just started happening yesterday. Same thing when I went mobile earlier too.

Just a thought, could this be an antenna connection problem?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
If you switch the polar diagram on you will see if it is being caused by lobes.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:16:55 AM »
Also check your timeout settings.  If these are set to zero, then any momentary loss of signal will make the aircraft dissapear.  I use 20s and 80s for MyFlight aircraft.

JRS98

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:41:16 PM »
CoastGuardJon,

The antenna connection seems to be just fine.

viking9,

You lost me on the polar diagram thing, sorry.

tarbat,

Those settings are the same as they have been (30 and 80 I think), everything is how it's been since I got. The range and number of flights haven't decreased either. I don't know what's going on.

I do appreciate the replies though, thanks.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »
JRS98

The polar diagram is the button circled in the attached pic - click it to see on the map the magimum range that you're picking up live flights - you'll probably find spikes inwards and outwards, and some of these may relate to where your aircraft are dropping out.

Rod
Rod

JRS98

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »
Rod,

Thanks for your reply. The aircraft are well within range. It's not a lack of coverage in a certain area. I think it's a problem with the software or box itself but I hope I'm wrong.

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 10:05:34 AM »
Hi guys, strangely enough I'm getting this now too! I don't think it's down to a bad signal because one of the aircraft that disappeared & then Re-appeared was only 20NM from my location and @ 220 feet.
Also can anyone let me know why an aircraft icon on my screen suddenly turns from an aircraft into an X with a circle around it? I'm starting to get a good few of my tracking aircraft doing this now as well when there well in my range and not timing out.

Cheers :)

Deadcalm

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 10:48:13 AM »
220' at 20 nm?  That's not bad - something as simple as a building or tree could easily obscure the signal.  You're lucky, I can really only see high level traffic because of the surrounding terrain.  And the circle with an X inside I gather means that there is no heading data available. The cause could be the same thing - obscurity between antenna and target.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 02:17:21 PM »
Thanks DC but 220' meaning 22,000Ft is not that great :) I was compiling some flight plans for my Flight Simulator 2004 at the same time as compiling my post!!

Cheers.

Tailwinds

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 03:32:10 PM »
You mean FL220.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!