AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "File" menu options not available  (Read 38283 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: "File" menu options not available
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »
Falcon,

Issues like this are always going to be a problem, especially if they only happen on a very few machines.  If it happened on every PC, then I guess that it would be easy to fault find and fix.  If it only happens on a few PC's, then where on earth would you start with sorting the problem out?

The one desktop and 2 laptops I run RB on doesn't suffer from the "Menu Freezing" issue and I've never had problems with the email report issue either - so I can't help at all with suggesting a solution.

I know that this doesn't really help you with your problem, but "Fix it" doesn't really help much either :-(

Have you tried RB on any other PC's? Does the same problem occur?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
Falcon,

We get this all the time with certain customers who have a certain feature request that they really want. If we miss it out in our update we get the exact same type of posts as they feel we deliberately missed them out. Its not that its simple terms of business and making use of time. If we sat here and worked on every feature request we got we would have no time for anything else and would never finish not to mention in the process go bankrupt.

Whats different is that bugs such as the menu options are priority and they are taken seriously. We do have to cut the reports which are sometimes only reported by one person or maybe a two, not because its the easy way out but as we know from support we get emails saying RB caused this... etc then a few days later we get an email saying sorry guys it was actually a fault hardrive or something else unrelated to RB.

We cannot afford to go into extreme depth into issues untill they are cofirmed that they are indeed bugs in RB not anything else. This is why we sometimes stagger on an issue and get it confirmed fully first before we spend time on it. I am sure this gives you an insight that we are not ignoring just making sure we spend time and money properlly.

The 6 updates to the software since launch which included bug fixes and two dozen new features, network price change and quick forum responses show that we are not ignoring customers.

The next update to the software is not far away and it will go through a beta test program to ensure bugs are caught.

I hope that gives you an insight in to what we see when we read posts like this and how we go about rectifying them.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Falcon

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 12:02:24 AM »
Falcon,

Issues like this are always going to be a problem, especially if they only happen on a very few machines.  If it happened on every PC, then I guess that it would be easy to fault find and fix.  If it only happens on a few PC's, then where on earth would you start with sorting the problem out?

Hi,

Well seeing as this is an issue, one of the places you would start would be by gathering as much information as possible and then acknowledge to your customers that your going to fix the problem. What I see is customers left hanging. The words "hopefully" as stated by AirNav is not overly reassuring. I don't see the "hopefully" as in we may have a tough time finding the problem, I see it as "hopefully" if we have the time to look at it, as their observations only indicate a few customers are having the problem and are therefore relatively unimportant. I have now had two issues that are being dealt with in an unsatisfactory manner. To say where on earth would you start to sort the problem leads one to believe it's an impossible task so just live with it. Based on what I have read in this one thread, I'll bet you it's more than just a few with this issue.

The one desktop and 2 laptops I run RB on doesn't suffer from the "Menu Freezing" issue
I am happy for you. I know myself and some others would like to say the same.

and I've never had problems with the email report issue either - so I can't help at all with suggesting a solution.
While I wish there was a solution that was within the customers control, sadly there isn't, so there isn't going to be anything to suggest. It needs to be handled by those responsible.

I know that this doesn't really help you with your problem, but "Fix it" doesn't really help much either :-(
Sure it does. I am the customer and they are the manufacturer. I have a valid problem, they need to fix it. I guess they don't have to, but how would that look for business, especially when I am not the only with either the e-mail issue or the menu issue. I have used lots of different types of software from different manufacturers/developers and am "very" patient and understanding when bug issues are handled and acknowledged properly.

Have you tried RB on any other PC's? Does the same problem occur?
I am going to try it on another machine when I get around to it. I'll let you know what happens. A machine with a fully updated Windows XP Home is the problem at the moment.

I appreciate you taking the time to lend your assistance and opinions.

Thank-you

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 12:21:41 AM »
Falcon,

Your reading too much into our words. We have stated as in our first post in this thread that it was listed as a one of the high priority bug fixes for the next version. Not sure what else we can say about that, other than keep repeating it.

Your email issue has not been handled in a bad way, reread our post on how we determine what needs to be added to next versions.

You don't have 2 issues which are being handled in that way, 1 is being done and the other we hope to do if time permits for the next version. We do not see the email issue as a bug but more a feature request, and the affect on the software is minimal but a stated in the email thread we hope to do it but cannot guarantee it due to other priority issues.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:23:18 AM by AirNav Support »
[email protected]

Falcon

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 12:28:16 AM »
Falcon,

Your reading too much into our words. We have stated as in our first post in this thread that it was listed as a one of the high priority bug fixes for the next version. Not sure what else we can say about that, other than keep repeating it.

Your email issue has not been handled in a bad way, reread our post on how we determine what needs to be added to next versions.

You don't have 2 issues which are being handled in that way, 1 is being done and the other we hope to do if time permits for the next version. We do not see the email issue as a bug but more a feature request, and the affect on the software is minimal but a stated in the email thread we hope to do it but cannot guarantee it due to other priority issues.

I guess it comes down to you have your version of the way things are happening and I have mine.

I don't have the time to spend on this.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 12:35:09 AM »

Ironic :)
[email protected]

Falcon

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 01:02:48 AM »

Ironic :)

Even if your intent was light hearted, it's not something I would have done on my business website. It could be taken the wrong way by not only insulting the intended recipient but those who have the same issues and concerns with your software.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:04:26 AM by Falcon »

kdt1

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 07:43:41 PM »

Falcon, I admire your courage to be honest and straight forward here.

I think we as ADS-B hobbies like pilots demand and strive for accuracy.
I here It all over the form every single day.  Yes!

Support you have a tough job striking a balance. And if you fall behind it is in our blood to call you on it. Do you as a company want us to give up. I hope not. Some have fallen into
the mode of surrender, acceptance and I understand. Airnav its time to pick up the ball and show us how committed you are. Suck it up and getter done!

I want to be able to look the competition in the eye and say.

Our Company, Our Support, Our Development and our members.  Are the BEST!!!

kdt1

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
None responsive menu Items, as you can see all menu items have been selected with no response. So all I can do is restart to gain control again.

Very annoying and a common daily occurrence.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:59:45 PM by kdt1 »

Allocator

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 06:07:51 PM »
You 2 guys definitely seem to have the same problem, so I wonder what the common cause is here?

As I mentioned before - not trying to wind you up at all - I've never had this problem and I can't reproduce it, so it would be good to get to the bottom of this by comparing your spec with Falcon.

Maybe processor, operating system, anti-virus, firewall, other programs/processing running as viewed in the Windows Task Manager, Internet connection, processor loading?  I'm just shooting in the dark here, but there has to be something specific causing this, or more people would be suffering the from same problem?

I see from your screen shot that you are running with Network processing switched off?  Do you have Sharing on?

You also look to be running RB on a very small screen.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:10:34 PM by Allocator »

kdt1

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2009, 09:14:05 PM »
Allocator, you are one funny Cat; I know you mean well and you have helped me before.
You need to get on the band wagon with your fellow members or get out of the way.
So let’s get right to it.

You 2 guys definitely seem to have the same problem, so I wonder what the common cause is here.
If you will look at the start of this thread many members bring up these problems and some sadly have resorted to just accept them. As support does not even respond until its way to late. Personally I do not care what the common cause is here. Just Fix it

As I mentioned before - not trying to wind you up at all – Oh Really, you are funny! I’ve never had this problem and I can't reproduce it, so it would be good to get to the bottom of this by comparing your spec with Falcon.

I have to be honest here, I very much just what to enjoy my hobby and not turn this into a full time job. I expect support to figure this out rather quickly. These are not new Issues.

Maybe processor, operating system, anti-virus, firewall, other programs/processing running as viewed in the Windows Task Manager, Internet connection, processor loading? How about adding the weather or maybe my wife to the list, I'm just shooting in the dark here,   You sure are, but there has to be something specific causing this, or more people would be suffering the from same problem?I Think most have giving up. You have New Members Jr. Members Full Members and Sr. Members. Read some of the prior posts on how member deal with this.

I have experienced the same issue on a couple of occasions, radar box receives normally and the map displays okay but the drop down menu's don't allow you to select an item.
When this happens I have needed to close the program by clicking the x in the corner and restart.

Sounds very similar to the problems one or two of us have experienced for months - slow or non-responsive menu items.   There has been some dialogue with support about this, and I have tried one or two alternative executables that they provided.  It has been a little better lately (mainly because once started, I tend to leave the programme alone), but I still get times when the menus don't appear to work and I end up restarting.  I suppose I've just learned to live with it. Very sad!

Are Airnav looking in to this issue?
Well, sort of.  They have said that it is "rare, and affects very few users, mainly those with high-spec machines".  The last I heard from support was on the 2nd October, so I don't really know if they're still working on it, or have given up.

The frozen menus has happened to me twice today when trying to close down Airnav after running it for over 4 hours each time, could it be related to the amount of data processed?

I don't like having to crash the program to exit it.

Completed the test yesterday with no other applications running on the PC, all power saving options off etc and the menus still locked up after 6 hours use so I will restart the program every couple of hours until Airnav follow it up. I do not like having to crash out of a running program.

There doesn't seem to be a response either way from Airnav...

And I thought it was just me...I also have heard nothing since the end of September/beginning of October.

I have solved my menu problem though...I just don't use it any more! :-)

Excreta! Excreta! Excreta!

Allocator as a hero member are you blind! No disrespect intended.

I see from your screen shot that you are running with Network processing switched off? Yes off, other wise my system just crawls, is my system “high spec” I would think a system with 2 Intel processors running @ 2 Ghz would run RB very well and still be able to fold laundry and walk the dog. I would like to know who came up with that poor excuse. 

Do you have Sharing on? No

You also look to be running RB on a very small screen. Not any more. I broke down and purchased a 24 inch wide screen just to deal with the font issue. So it’s not a problem for me any more but I would hope Airnav will still proceed foward and fix this problem in a patch or the next release.

I think I will switch to 22 as I feel I am sitting in front of the Television. Too much.

OK

Allocator

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2009, 09:22:29 PM »
Wow!

I seem to have touched a VERY raw nerve there old chap!

You definitely have problems, I can see that.  Only trying to help, but I see that you have everything well in hand and you are going to sit back at wait until AirNav do something about it.  I'm sorry that this is upsetting you so much and spoiling your enjoyment of your Radarbox.  I guess that I must just be lucky to have so few problems with my RadarBox and the software ....... with my 3 year old AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ running at 2GHz with 2GB of RAM.

Carry on my dear fellow, you obviously don't need any help from me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:25:02 PM by Allocator »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 09:23:42 PM »
Okay, another one shooting in the dark, but have you:
- Setup virus checking exceptions for the RB folders and Virtual Folders (Vista).
- Checked what processes, if any, are consuming lots of CPU when the menus lockup.

I've also never seen this problem since setting up virus checking exceptions, and I now typically run RB for 7 days solid without shutting it down.  Of course, the cause of your problem may well be something else.  Good luck getting it fixed.

kdt1

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »
Wow!

I seem to have touched a VERY raw nerve there old chap!

You definitely have problems, I can see that.  Only trying to help, but I see that you have everything well in hand and you are going to sit back at wait until AirNav do something about it.  I'm sorry that this is upsetting you so much and spoiling your enjoyment of your Radarbox.  I guess that I must just be lucky to have so few problems with my RadarBox and the software ....... with my 3 year old AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ running at 2GHz with 2GB of RAM.

Carry on my dear fellow, you obviously don't need any help from me.

Not true, just your understanding.

Ok

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 10:22:11 PM »
ktd1,

You seem to love posting on the forum, posting screenshots showing these issues and pushing your thread back up to the top BUT we have asked you a few days ago contact us directly and we would send you debug etc.. and get to the bottom of this but you have not yet done so, yet continued to post.

If you actually want help then please work with us otherwise don't bother complaining.
[email protected]