anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New user with possible hardware problem - no USB or signal lights  (Read 17803 times)

QF1

Re: New user with possible hardware problem - no USB or signal lights
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 10:32:45 PM »
Thanks Allocator - that's great.

I am off to get a BNC/SMA connector today so that I can try my new Radarbox with my old SBS antenna which is up on the roof.

Cheers
M

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »
That's what I use when I'm at home - the good old BS1100 antenna that has been out in all weathers for about 18 months.  It works a treat providing the cable run isn't too long :-)

When I'm away, I just use the standard RB antenna on a window ledge - that works surprising well too.

HadNav

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 03:38:02 AM »
The RB standard antenna does work well on a window ledge. It can work better outside too with weather proofing, ie a homebuilt raydome. Plastic soccer balls work or something similar :) ie Basket Ball.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:45:40 AM by HadNav »

QF1

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2008, 03:46:27 AM »
It is my intention to use the Radarbox when traveling, as it is smaller to carry than the SBS, so will use the standard antenna.  Likely locations, other than Australia would be New Zealand, Fiji, USA and Canada.

Cheers
M

HadNav

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2008, 04:16:42 AM »
QF1 I suggest you pack a basketball on your journeys :) Complete weather proofing on the move :)

HadNav

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 04:20:01 AM »
QF1. When you say the RadarBox is smaller to carry than the SBS1, do you mean, smaller box or antenna?

HadNav

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 04:21:46 AM »
When you pack your basketball, of course it will be deflated with a hole cut in it for the antenna and groundplane.

QF1

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 04:35:55 AM »
QF1. When you say the RadarBox is smaller to carry than the SBS1, do you mean, smaller box or antenna?
Smaller Box.  Antenna about the same size, although I think mag base is also smaller.  Also, no need to upturn the metal hotel bin for a ground plane as AirNav have provided in the box.

Allocator

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »

Small like this.  Note the patented coffee tin ground plane for use in the office and the range increasing modification - a CD-Rom "cake" box :-)

Tramline

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 02:31:15 PM »

Small like this.  Note the patented coffee tin ground plane for use in the office and the range increasing modification - a CD-Rom "cake" box :-)

Aha!  So am I right in concluding that the larger the circumference of the 'base' the better the reception?  I understand the height issue being key but I've several 'biscuit' tins available which I could place the antenna on.

I'm tempted to put my antenna in the loft, but then I've got to drill through the loft and then the antenna is basically in situ and I'll be unable to use my RB outside of the house.

Any comments or views?
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

daelight

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2008, 03:18:09 PM »
In laymans terms, how / why would the coffee tin improve reception?

Thank you

Blackthorn

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »
I was told that the supplied base disc with the antenna was almost the correct size for the base reflector and anything larger would not help. Is this correct?

I use the Kinetic whip mainly because it provides slightly better reception and my Airnav antenna was bent in the box. Too flimsy for my liking.

Allocator

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 06:19:51 PM »
In laymans terms, how / why would the coffee tin improve reception?

Thank you

I was just trying to be funny - or maybe the brand of coffee makes a difference ;-)

The "CD" sized metal groundplane that comes with RB is the ideal size.  Having the coffee tin at work meant one less thing to carry around, so I used it instead of the AirNav item.

As far as the "range increasing CD case box" - more humour on my part, but believe me, elevating the antenna only a small amount can make a difference to live aircraft reception - it just raises the antenna a bit.

Blackthorn

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 06:42:21 PM »
Not being a coffee drinker I prefer to use a Quality Street tin lid you can get two for £8 at the momment :-)

Always good to have a spare.

Allocator

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »
That's expensive for just the lids - do you have to pay extra to have the sweets taken out?