anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Network 5-min delay  (Read 4007 times)

oceans777

Network 5-min delay
« on: December 03, 2008, 07:33:25 PM »
Am I correct that the 5 minute delay in networked users flights is a permanent restriction and AirNav has no plans to drop this?

I love Radar Box and the graphics are far superior but the 5 minute delay in networked flights has become so annoying and to my thinking - completely without merit, that I will switch to Kinetic if AirNav has no plans to lift this delay. Flights that I am interested in tracking in adjacent networked airspace suddenly appear in one spot and then have vanished by the time the delay passes. I'm not sure how the network provides any value at all? By the time we see a flight it is already frozen and then gone when it updates.

I would revive the "how is this remotely providing any practical safety or security for ?? anyone?" dead horse but I think it's pointless.

Just checking before deciding. Thanks

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Network 5-min delay
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:39:11 PM »
So, have Kinetic finally released the MapModeS feature then to provide networked flights?  Last time I looked, they hadn't.  And Basestation output on port 30003 is also 5-minute delayed.  Unless you're into hacking of course.

If you need "near" real-time sharing, use Planeplotter.  Or talk to Piotr about reviving his Radarbox real-time hack project.  I can't see Airnav removing the 5-minute delay - for legal reasons.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:42:53 PM by tarbat »

oceans777

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 07:45:42 PM »
Ok all good to know - I am still researching the Kinetic box so I was going on what another user had said about not having delays - I tried PlanePlotter and wasn't for me.
Appreciate the info tarbat!

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »
No, Radarbox is the only Mode S receiver with Networked traffic functionality. Kenitic have still not launched their Mapmode S, even though this was last promised in June 2007.

It was the original SBS-1 MapmodeS function that persuaded me to buy an SBS-1 in June 2006 - yes, over two and a half years ago.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:48:33 PM by Allocator »

oceans777

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »
Wow - I just read the Kinetic website etc etc and of course there is no mention of this, they are advertising 'unlimited possibilities' for network use.

Well I guess I'm going to get used to 5-minutes. Thanks Allocator - maybe that SBS-1 will be a collectors item soon? :-)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »
When Kinetic are talking about network use, they are referring to the fact that the repackaged SBS-1e has a network adapter, not that it has access to network traffic!  You can only see traffic as far as it is picked up by the antenna.

Of course, there are people who will argue that you can "hack" the SBS-1 to get data out of it then share it on a private network between a few like minded users, but this is small beer when compared to the RadarBox network where everybody can share and access that  network data right "out of the box"

Edit: Just checked the Kinetic website, and they still have the PDF file for download describing the never delivered MapmodeS - how do they get away with it!

Another Edit: Talk about misleading advertising - the ML&S website talks about the SBS-1 being "...bundled with some amazing new feature rich software” when in fact the BaseStation software is unchanged, but a load of freely available 3rd party programs are thrown in for free!  Of course, you need all that 3rd party software and a lot of time and skill and still you don't get close to the functions of RadarBox.

That's it, I'm climbing down off my soapbox now,  although I could always wind tarbat up by asking him what he thinks about Kinetic and misleading advertising :-0

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:08:56 PM by Allocator »

oceans777

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:12:02 PM »
Guys I truly appreciate your info and advice - kind of relieved, I wasn't excited about not using Radar Box. I'm sure I'll get used to it. (Even though I can't find anyone at TSA who can explain the point of it:-)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:33:10 PM »
oceans777,

If your only intrested in US flights for the TSA then please contact us through the contact page or ring us regarding our Pro packages.

We do have data packages for the US using the FAA ADSI feed.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

HadNav

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 01:35:39 AM »
Reading the above. I guess I bought the right box :) I'm now looking into an outside antenna. The included antenna works well indoors at at only 50ft above sea level :)