AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WindowsXP Or Vista  (Read 6020 times)

HadNav

WindowsXP Or Vista
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:00:56 AM »
I'm knew to RadarBox. I got mine less than 24 hours ago. I installed software on my Vista laptop and the install stopped responding 3 times before I got it ready to run. Eventually I had the RadarBox pulling in flights. The performance of the software seems very slow. The F9 key doesn't bring up the local flights, and other menus hang for ages or just don't seem to work! My Laptop is a fast duel core with 2meg of ram. Would I be better off running Windows XP?

HadNav

HadNav

Re: WindowsXP Or Vista
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:07:52 AM »
The software is the new 2009 version.

Blackthorn

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 07:01:16 AM »
I run mine on vista with no issues, do you have plenty of disk space? is your graphics memory taken from your system memory?

Try lowering the update value in the preferences to see if that helps.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 07:56:24 AM »
What anti-virus software are you running?  Check that you've setup an exclude for the Radarbox folders, including the Virtual Store.

HadNav

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:05:41 PM »
Thanks for your help guys. My graphics card has it's own memory and there is plenty of disk space.
I run AVG for antivirus.  Setting AVG up correctly solved my problems. Thanks.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:18:12 PM »
I run AVG for antivirus.  Setting AVG up correctly solved my problems. Thanks.

Airnav Support, we REALLY need a sticky thread for the AVG issue.  There's probably loads of other users with AVG wondering why Radarbox runs so slowly.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Tailwinds

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:42:20 PM »
I have the free version of AVG and do find it takes a while to actually start. However, once up and running it seems to work alright. If I carry out those instructions with regard to "Exceptions" in the AVG setup, doesn't that mean that I'm vunerable to something bad by being unprotected? I'm sure I read a post buried deep somewhere here on the forum where it was suggested to just use the "Exceptions" in Resident Sheild for the photo folder only.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 11:44:10 PM »
We added to our V2.1 to-do list a feature that will detect if AVG is running in the background and will advise the user on what to do if that is the case.

HadNav

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 01:15:51 AM »
I downgraded my Vista laptop to WinXP Pro with free AVG as my antivirus software, with exception set. I had too many other problems with Vista. RadarBox software runs well, but function keys still don't work. Otherwise, I've pulled in a lot of flights today. It's interesting what is flying over my house since NATS routes changed in 2004. NATS now want to stack flights where I live.

HadNav

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 04:01:40 AM »
I reinstalled Vista Home Premium on my Laptop. After I had found articles about tweaking it for performance. RadarBox runs well. Function keys still don't work! But RadarBox is running well otherwise. I'm building a HiSpec Desktop PC for RadarBox 24 hour usage soon!

HadNav

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 04:04:58 AM »
Oh!!! By the way, I no longer use AVG. I use Kapersky 2009 without any problems!