anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Atlas air not appearing on screen  (Read 7581 times)

mjleprix

Atlas air not appearing on screen
« on: December 01, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »
HI Guys
Probabley been answered before but I cann't find it- Three Atlas air 747s grossed over me  two days last week, all three appeared in my flights list but only one showed on the screen.
I know there are anomolies with Flybe and a couple of others, so is this another anomaly.
I watched them come down from just south of Manchester routing over Birmingham, so there was plenty of time for the box to pick them up.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Atlas air not appearing on screen
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »
Hi mjleprix

It all depends on whether the aircraft were transmitting ADS-B info. If there is a blue globe beside the Status, then it is broadcasting ADS-B, and will be on the map. If there isn't, then it won't be on the map.

It probably isn't connected to the Flybe bug.

Hope that helps

Rod
Rod

mjleprix

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »
Thanks ,Rod, as ever you are a mine of information and there is so much to remember. But very enjoyable this is!
Mike

RodBearden

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
No problem, Mike :-)

Rod
Rod

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
All the Atlas Air B744s have ADS-B and will show on the radar. 

Of the B742s, most have ADS-B with the exception of N522MC, N523MC, N524MC, N526MC and N528MC, so those 5 will only appear in the list and not on the radar.

HTH
Dave
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

drskeptical

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »

It probably isn't connected to the Flybe bug.

Hi
What is the Flybe bug?

Andy

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:35:38 PM »
It's not a bug as far as I'm aware - FlyBe aircraft don't have an ADS-B fit, so therefore no position information.

drskeptical

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »
Hi
OK thanks for that. Flybe having the call sign "Jersey". I hear many times on the radio but of course never see them. I did initially think that a lot of people fly from Jersey, far more than the island could ever support.

Andy

RodBearden

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 07:47:40 PM »
The "Flybe bug" is that the aircraft broadcast a flight ID which is not being decoded correctly by RadarBox - this thread relates: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1372.msg10528#msg10528.

There's some confusion over nomenclature here: Jersey is the radio callsign (not part of the Mode-S or ADS-B transmissions), while the Flight ID is the three-letter-followed by a numeric or alpha-numeric flight number, as normally displayed in RadarBox (eg RYR9187). It's the Flight ID where we have a problem.

Rod
Rod

drskeptical

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:56:24 PM »
The "Flybe bug" is that the aircraft broadcast a flight ID which is not being decoded correctly by RadarBox - this thread relates: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1372.msg10528#msg10528.

There's some confusion over nomenclature here: Jersey is the radio callsign (not part of the Mode-S or ADS-B transmissions), while the Flight ID is the three-letter-followed by a numeric or alpha-numeric flight number, as normally displayed in RadarBox (eg RYR9187). It's the Flight ID where we have a problem.

Rod

Hi Rod
Thanks for clearing that up. I look forward to the fix.

Andy

DaveReid

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 09:13:15 PM »

The Flight ID on the flightplan should normally match the radio callsign, apart from the replacement of the telephony designator with the corresponding ICAO three-letter prefix (except where the Flight ID is a registration or non-ICAO military designator, when both will normally be identical).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

RodBearden

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 09:21:17 PM »
Thanks for your input, Dave - appreciated.

Rod
Rod

mjleprix

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »
Back to the original subject of Atlas. Dave, you are absolutely correct, as the two 747swere N522 and n528, but how do you come across such detailed info. I'm impressed.
Thanks
Mike P

DaveReid

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »
Back to the original subject of Atlas.  Dave, you are absolutely correct, as the two 747s were N522 and n528, but how do you come across such detailed info.  I'm impressed.

I've had a flag in my airframes database for capability (ADS-B/Mode S only/neither/unknown) for some time, it's very useful for anticipating what will plot on the radar and what won't.

Next step is to add more flags for different types of ADS-B squitter (track, heading, groundspeed, airspeed).

mjleprix

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 09:56:20 AM »
wow! I hadn' realised the compexity of such things. Keep up the good work and thanks for the explanation.
Mike