anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Internet Connection  (Read 5241 times)

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
Internet Connection
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:57:06 PM »
Hi guys, Merry Xmas! I have a question in relation to how & why RB connects to the internet.
Because I live aboard a boat I only have a mobile-internet 3G connection through T-Mobile. Since purchasing RB my T-Mobile usage has gone up dramatically. For the 1st time ever I've exceeded my 5Gig allowance for the month. I've now changed my preferences and de-selected the photo downloads.
However, when viewing my T-Mobile statistics in real time I'm seeing a small download/upload taking place. When I close down my RB this appears to stop and when I fire up again it appears to restart.
I've also noticed that despite deselecting the photo option I'm still seeing in the bottom right of my RB when I fire it up again 27 Processing photos/info requests done. This then reduces to zero over a few seconds but I still get the occasional 1 Processing photos/info requests done coming up. Should this happen?
Secondly would RB be connecting to my server for any other reasons?

Cheers.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Internet Connection
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 01:05:45 PM »
I use RadarBox with my Orange Mobile Broadband USB stick, and I've failed miserably to reach my 3GB per month allowance (thank goodness).

Have you got Windows auto update selected?  I think that it's more likely that it's something like this that is driving up your usage?  Before I got the Mobile Broadband, I ran a counter on my desktop PC to see how much data I transferred in a month and with approx 18 hours per day, I hit about 4 Gb per month, and that was doing all the normal stuff.

Deadcalm

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:07:23 PM »
If you deselect download photos, apparently you end up without proper database updates.  At least, that's what I understand.  Personally I don't particularly want photos because of an unnecessary hit on my internet performance, too.  Can't get proper broadband here, and only have a dial-up/satellite hybrid - downloads on this are reduced severely by a "Fair Use" policy, so I sympathise.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:43:32 PM »
One suggestion is to use the Windows Computer Management tool to see what programmes are using the bandwidth.  Use the "Reliability and Performance" section.  For example, here's mine, with Network traffic turned on.

AFAIK, RB uses the Internet for several things:
1. Getting aircraft registrations.
2. Downloading aircraft photos.
3. Getting weather information.
4. Uploading your local aircraft (can be turned off in preferences).
5. Download network aircraft (can be turned off on the Network tab).

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
Thanks for all your replies chaps. I don't think it's a coincidence that since I've had RB my usage has rocketed and I've been away for 1 week over December as well!
Tarbat not used the Windows computer management tool. Can you tell me where to find such a thing in Vista?

Cheers

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »
Right click on Computer (in Explorer), and select Manage.  That will open the Computer Management window.  Then click on Reliability and Performance, and then click on the Network bar.

abrad41

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »
tarbat

What about XP

Cheers

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »
Not sure about XP - I run Vista.  I think it's the same - right click My Computer, and select Manage.

abrad41

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »
Yer I tried that mate, But could not see it in there

Cheers

Allocator

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Andy,

I can see it in XP Home - although I didn't even know that it existed!

Click on Start then right click on My Computer and Manage is the 6th option down in the menu that comes up.

abrad41

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
Allocator

Yes got that far mate, when you click on Manage, another window opens and in there I cannot find it. I have been into Manage before to do some Disk Management stuff like Formatting and defrag.

Cheers

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:41:23 PM »
Yes, I've just checked my Netbook (which is XP), and all the performance monitoring stuff isn't available in XP.  Glad I've got Vista !!!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:46:58 PM by tarbat »

Allocator

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 05:43:26 PM »
Oh, that explains it!

abrad41

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »
tarbat

Thanks again

Andy

Fenris

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 09:34:10 PM »
Right click on Computer (in Explorer), and select Manage.  That will open the Computer Management window.  Then click on Reliability and Performance, and then click on the Network bar.

If you want to be able to capture and analyse data sent over any interface, Wireshark is invaluable, it will be able to drill down to show individual bytes in each packet if you need it.

http://www.wireshark.org