AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coverage in Colorado  (Read 2707 times)

skip1216

Coverage in Colorado
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »
I think I have this right but would appreciate verification.   The RB is a little disappointing for me because evidently there are few, if any, networked RBs in the Denver or Colorado area.  Consequently the only actual tracking that I receive is live from the planes that my unit can receive and subject to antenna limitations.   

It does not seem like many airlines in the US have installed ADS-B transmitters.   The most consistent hits for me come from Frontier Airlines, FedEX, and American Airlines. 

In any event, at this point the maximum tracked flights (I'm about 30 miles from DIA (KDEN) I've had on the screen at one time is about 6.   

I do understand that this technology is/will be deployed in the US over time and that the future potential is great.   Anyway, any other Colorado or Western US folks out there with similar experiences?

jmhayes

Re: Coverage in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »
It's true: there aren't many of us in the US.  Keep up the good work, though!

ACW367

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:31:39 PM »
I have just returned from a trip in the US and was suprised at how few fleets broadcast ADS-B compared to the number we see in Europe.  All aircraft that regularly cross the atlantic will broadcast ADS-B even if they are on a domestic sector so you should see some B777 and equivilants arriving from Europe and on Transcontinental routes. 

As new fleets are delivered that are of Boeing/Airbus size they appear to be ADS-B fitted. This is why you see relatively new Frontier Airbuses and Contintental B738/B739 etc.  Until the FAA mandates it the airlines aren't rushing to retrofit their current fleets with the system.

Of course non ADS-B aircraft still appear on your my flights and with the use of other things like ACARS or planeplotter you can get a rough idea of where they are.

jmhayes

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:36:34 PM »
Quote from: ACW367
As new fleets are delivered that are of Boeing/Airbus size they appear to be ADS-B fitted. This is why you see relatively new Frontier Airbuses and Contintental B738/B739 etc.
It's still an option; you don't see new SWA or ASA 737NGs with ADS-B ... yet.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:00:27 PM »
There are about 14 network flights around Denver at the moment - a good mix of JetBlue, Frontier, Continental, FedEx, etc - it's definitely getting better round there!

Rod
Rod