anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Info please  (Read 9248 times)

bratters

Re: Info please
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 12:36:25 PM »
Thanks Nortonbeak - that would be a useful feature and save cluttering up the screen.

I suppose I could test it myself but it could be a long wait until a flight pushes the boundary suffciently significantly to make a noticeable difference.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 02:29:37 PM »
Allocator - I'm XP (don't not like my son's vista overmuch)  As for columns, I work them hard and ring the changes often - depending on what particular fields take my fancy.

Bratters, you've lost me a bit now - I'm not exactly sure what your problem is regarding data missing from the columns.  Can you take a screenshot of the aircraft list and attach it to your post?

bratters

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 07:32:29 PM »
Hello again Allocator - it's a bit quiet now because I've pulled my twig in - it's blowing hard here - however this will give you an idea:

I'm watching columns as shown below plus "show photos/details"   Examples of what I mean about blanks:

Track      Flag       Regist'n     Aircraft    Airline

OK         OK       OH-LYL       A320       
  OK         OK       LN-RCY       B738       
  OK         OK       N499MC      B744         
               OK       G-ECOG             
  OK         OK       F-GSPA       B772       
               OK       G-FBEL
               OK       CS-DQA               

In these random cases, the missing details of the aircraft and/or airlines (in particular) were in fact shown both alongside the lower photo and also in My Logs.

Clearly there are anomolies between the A/C Type and A/C Name in My logs vis a vis the A/C Type alongside the photo - not to mention the Aircraft column in My Flights.

For instance, CS-DQA is shown as TYPE Cessna 560 alongside its photo, but in My Log the TYPE entry is blank and CS-DQA appears as NAME Cessna 560.  It does not appear at all in the My Flight aircraft column. I assume therefore that it would show if it were categorised TYPE in My Log (?)

As for the missing Airline entries, that's more of a mystery. They are mostly run of the mill stuff, Ryanairs and Easyjets etc.. Dunno.

Thanks for your interest - it all makes the RB even more interesting for me.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »
Bratters,

Still trying to get me head around your problem, but this might help you to understand what is going on and/or sort out the problem.

I'm not sure if the columns you posted are the only ones you are showing, or if this was just an example.  I've attached a screen shot of my MyFlights list for you to compare.

First if all, regarding the missing airline logos in the list that are showing in the photo details at the bottom. Airline in the photo details is actually Company in the MyFlights list and this data comes from the main NavData.db3 database that has details of the REGISTERED OWNER of the aircraft.  The Airline LOGO in the MyFlights list is actually generated from the Flight ID or callsign shown in MyFlights.  So if an aircraft is registered as belonging to "John Smith Airways" this will show in the photo details, but if the aircraft has been leased to "Joe Bloggs Airways" and is using Joe's Flight ID, then you will get Joe's airline logo in MyFlights.

Of course, this means that if there is no Flight ID showing in MyFlights, you won't get an aircraft logo - but you will still see the airline the aircraft is registered to in the photo details.  The Flight ID is set by the flight crew and it seems that the policy of some airlines is that it must be set and others don't seem bothered.  Hope you followed that :-)

The aircraft column in MyFlights shows the SHORT name, the code used worldwide by ICAO to describe that aircraft (AT in the NavData.db3 database).  The Type in the photo details in the LONG or plain English name of the aircraft (AN in NavData.db3).  MyLog shows both of these, with the short name in the A/C Type column and the long name in the A/C Name column.

If you have missing details in MyLog, these can be populated by using the MyLog > Tools > Populate button - if the data in in the NavData.db3 database, then they will be copied across to the MyLog database.

Also, here is a very quick summary of how the databases work:

- Navdata.db3 comes already populated, this is the main source database for everything you will see in MyFlight, Network and MyLog

- MyLog.db3 is empty when you install RB.  It is a completely separate database to NavData.db3.

- When an aircraft is detected "live" (not Network) by RB, the details for that aircraft are copied to MyLog as a historical record.  If all the aircraft details are already in NavData.db3, then the record in MyLog will also be complete.  If there is no record in NavData, then only the bare details are copied to MyLog - Mode S, ModeSCountry, First Time/Last Time.  Auto populate will now check the Airnav server and fill in the blanks in MyFlights and will write the details to NavData - the details are NOT written to MyLog which will still only contain the partial record.

- When you use MyLog > Tools > Populate, this than checks NavData and updates the missing information.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:39:10 AM by Allocator »

bratters

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »
Many thanks Allocator for taking so much trouble in submitting a detailed reply.

I will read and digest the contents - I have an enquiring mind and like to have some understanding of the way things work.

Thanks again.

Fenris

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
Yes, thanks Allocator, that has helped me to grasp how it works too.