AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Updating the NavData DB  (Read 7486 times)

apjwright

Updating the NavData DB
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »

So, I've been reading all of the threads I can find about how the NavData DB is supposed to update.  For the life of me, I cannot make it update.

I am sitting in my hotel room at the LHR Renaissance, running my RB and having a great time - now, if I could only get those new aircraft added to the DB !

Yes, I have a good internet connection.  What else do I need to do?
Can somebody outline some steps to test the update process?

In theory, once an aircraft record is updated, do you see it in the tracking view immediately, or do you have to exit the program and re-start?

Your help would be greatly appreciated in helping me through this issue.

Rgds,
Tony

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Updating the NavData DB
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:57:16 PM »
Do you have "Download photos selected"?  I'm sure that we found that there is a minor bug in 2009 that stops the autopopulate if you are not downloading the thumbnail photos.

Are you running the latest version - RadarBox 2009

The aircraft details will populate before your very eyes - providing your Firewall isn't blocking RB from connecting to the AirNav server.  Just click on an aircraft line in MyFlights that doesn't have any details and tell us what happens.

Blackthorn

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:59:45 PM »
I have found that you do need download photos enabled to auto populate.

apjwright

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

I fiddled around with the photo related settings (both the download photo's and display photo's) and have now got it working.

Thanks !

Does anybody know if the issue of having to turn on the photo settings for the autopopulate to work is going to fixed?  If so, when?

Tony

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:46:58 PM »
Tony, it was fixed with an earlier version of RB, but I think that it slipped through the net with 2009.  As it's been fixed before, I'm sure that AirNav will have no problems fixing it again :-)

apjwright

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:39:21 PM »
Let's hope so !

Another question:  I've noticed that on quite a number of the 'newly updated' records, the type field comes in as '...' - why is that?

Thanks,
Tony

9M-ISJ

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:45 AM »
I was wondering that too.... I have also had one or two come up with a reg but 'null' in the type box.

Is there a way to update these by hand?

Also will the database catch up with these by itself in time if left alone? Or will they always have ... or null on them??

Gulfstream

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 08:48:56 AM »

Yes, using the Database Explorer.

Also will the database catch up with these by itself in time if left alone? Or will they always have ... or null on them??

They'll always have "..." or null in them.  Unfortunately if the data isn't populated on GAS, then Airnav can't get the aircraft type.

theripper

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
They'll always have "..." or null in them.  Unfortunately if the data isn't populated on GAS, then Airnav can't get the aircraft type.

I still don't get it - when I check the online GAS database for a RB "..." entry, it includes the correct aircraft type in most cases. I deleted such an entry in the database explorer to see what would happen. RB then autopopulated the concerned aircraft, and again with "..." in the type field although GAS clearly has the correct data!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 05:16:44 PM »
Okay, that suggests that Airnav haven't got the updates from GAS.  Have you got an example?

theripper

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
Okay, that suggests that Airnav haven't got the updates from GAS.  Have you got an example?

Lots of, here's the most recent one:
3E2803 (D-IGIT)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »
So, we need Airnav to explain whether the autopopulate routine on their servers is working from GAS, or has it stopped working again?

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »
So, we need Airnav to explain whether the autopopulate routine on their servers is working from GAS, or has it stopped working again?

Could it be that, if the AirNav database has "..." in the ICAO code column, it treats that as a valid value and doesn't try to retrieve the actual code from GAS ?

Just a theory, but it seems to fit the circumstances described above.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 06:23:31 PM »
Agreed Dave.  I suspect that once the Airnav servers have got a record retrieved from GAS, that's it, and it doesn't try to get more recent updates from GAS.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 10:24:02 PM »

Yes, using the Database Explorer.

Just updated one of my records with null as the type in the Database Explorer, but it seems to still show with null in Mylog is that correct??

Would be interested to see what would show on screen when that a/c comes back into range