AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Busy day for the RAF  (Read 14372 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Busy day for the RAF
« on: November 18, 2008, 03:14:16 PM »
It's been a bit noisy on the Tain Bombing Range today!!!

Based on the squawk codes being used, this is a NATO - CAOC 9 Exercise.  Shows how useful Andy's Squawkbox addon is!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
Re: Busy day for the RAF
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
Their targets

colinhall

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:10:36 AM »
good one tarbat, please e-mail me just how you can get so many up at once (raf).

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:45:02 AM »
He has lots of RAF aeroplanes flying close to him, that's how he can see so many :-)

colinhall

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »
i live near dover and im hoping to get the ones that are using the range by the wash in lincolnshire.had the lancaster on the screen couple of weeks ago.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »
i live near dover and im hoping to get the ones that are using the range by the wash in lincolnshire.had the lancaster on the screen couple of weeks ago.

You are not going to see aircraft in the Wash ranges from where you are in Dover I'm afraid - it that's the English Channel port you are talking about.

Remember that only aircraft transmitting position information appear on the map and military aircraft don't generally transmit position.  Also, only aircraft with position information appear as Network traffic.  RadarBox picks up live traffic "line of sight" so the further away from you the traffic is, the higher it has to be to be detected.  You are a long way from the Wash ranges.

colinhall

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:18:45 AM »
ok for the reply allocator. another small thing, if i was to put my arial in the roof will it work better. cannot put anything on the outside of the house due to restrictions put on us from the trust that we rent the property from.but saying that i still get a good reception when i put the arial on my bedroom window sill. and im in a good position for the in and out bound flights from the east.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
colinhall, it's worth a try.  My antenna in the loft space gets much better coverage than running it on a window sill.   But there's so many other factors that could affect coverage - neighbouring houses, roof materials, etc.......

Tramline

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 08:11:17 PM »
Out of interest, I live near LHR and often see RAF Brize Norton traffic overflying, will this military traffic normally show on my RB?
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »
It will show on your list but not on the map as RAF aircraft do not show position information.

colinhall

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »
Thanks for that Tarbat,will try putting the aeriel in the roof to see how it is, will keep you posted.Not today though because of the cold weather and the low cloud base.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
The high levels of activity continue on the Tain Bombing Range.  I wonder what VIGOUR91 (43C1BC) is?

ACW367

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 08:17:28 AM »
Tarbat, that is not tain activity. Those are F3's not GR4's and are operating at 20000ft etc.  This will be an air defence exercise not a bombing exercise

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 08:50:12 AM »
Tarbat, that is not tain activity. Those are F3's not GR4's and are operating at 20000ft etc.  This will be an air defence exercise not a bombing exercise

Yes, I saw (and heard) them at about 20000ft ABOVE the Tain Bombing Range, operating out of Lossie, and under the control of the Tain Range controllers.  Not many GR4's have ModeS fitted.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:26:50 AM by tarbat »