anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just Switched from SBS-1  (Read 38844 times)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Just Switched from SBS-1
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
Its not a embarrassed silence Dave. We were just not happy in giving an exact figure and starting a slagging match between companies.

Why would we be embarssed, do we see customers moving from RB to SBS, nope, do we see customers moving from SBS to RB, of course.

However the numbers are in Hundreds, bearing in mind we have sold nearly 2000 RBs thats a fair percentage.

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

phil zech

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 10:33:58 AM »
Hi All,

Newbie here, just reading the forum for latest news , tips etc.

Came across this thread !

As an onlooker to all this, Dave Reid seems to have posted a few messages on this forum for someone who hasnt got an ANRB !!

As AirNav say who cares, lets just get on with the hobby we all  enjoy.

At the end of the day its all about making the choice that suits that person best.

Regards

Phil

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »
However the numbers are in Hundreds, bearing in mind we have sold nearly 2000 RBs thats a fair percentage.

OK, I'll take you at your word.  I'll look out for a flood of second-hand SBSs on Ebay (there's only one being offered at the moment).

As an onlooker to all this, Dave Reid seems to have posted a few messages on this forum for someone who hasnt got an ANRB !!

I don't recall saying I that don't have an ANRB.  Maybe I've got one and simply haven't needed to ask any tech support type questions :-)

Actually, on second thoughts I do have a technical question - how would you capture network flights data into a database ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2008, 12:05:07 PM »
Dave, I'd imagine that most would keep their SBS-1 rather than sell it.

And no, there's no way of capturing network flight data into a database.  But at least you get network flights with a Radarbox, whereas MapModeS has failed to materialise on the SBS-1, so NO network flights at all on the SBS-1.

phil zech

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »
We are now having an average of 2 users upgrading from SBS-1 to RadarBox per day. I'm sure this will increase in the near future.

That's an interesting statistic - but like all statistics it begs the question "how do you know?", and in particular what do you mean by "upgrading"?

For example, it's no secret that I'm a longtime SBS-1 user - I have one of the very first batch - and for a time I was on the Kinetic beta test team (in the days when they bothered to beta-test new releases!).

But if I were subsequently to acquire a RadarBox, it would be as an adjunct to my SBS rather than a replacement/upgrade - would I nevertheless be automatically classed as an "upgrade" statistic?

As far as I can see, there are things that RadarBox does better, and/or more easily, than SBS, and equally things that SBS does which RadarBox doesn't, so I can certainly see a place for both in my computer den.  For example, and correct me if I'm wrong, no-one has developed a RadarBox add-on that gives access to the raw Mode S packets, which is an essential feature when developing low-cost multilateration solutions.

Still, if RadarBox is displacing SBS to the extent being suggested, I look forward to picking up a couple more from the flood of bargain-price units on the second-hand market for my MLat network :-)
[/quote

I think the words "but if I were subsequently to acquire a Radar Box" suggest you havent got one :-)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2008, 12:15:58 PM »
If you want access to the network data we do have a specfic details for our Proffesional customers. Please contact our sales team if you are intrested.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DaveReid

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »
I think the words "but if I were subsequently to acquire a Radar Box" suggest you havent got one :-)

To quote Wikipedia: "the past subjunctive is sometimes used in expressing situations that are not necessarily contrary to fact"
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Tramline

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »
As a newbie and still awaiting delivery of my ANRB having discarded any thought of SBS-1 for personal reasons, can I suggest we leave this discussion behind.  Air Nav appear to provide exceptional support towards the RB and from what I've read, most people are very happy with their RB product and the level of support AirNav and their many users provide via this forum.

Lets enjoy the RB, I'm sure many SBS-1 users are happy as well, so lets move on.

Cheers Paul
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

DaveReid

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 01:54:48 PM »
And no, there's no way of capturing network flight data into a database.

Thanks, Chris. 

Were I a RadarBox user, I'm sure that's the kind of technical challenge I wouldn't be able to resist  :-)

9M-ISJ

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »
Hi,

Can I go back to my last question (before a cuckoo in the nest sort of hijacked the thread...)??

I am still interested in bringing over my old Basestation data, and loading it up with my month or so of Mylog 'captures'

As I said way back in this thread I tried doing so with the ANRB built in 'import' feature and had mixed results.

I dont mind buying one of the SQL editing progs if needs be. What I want to do is simply bring over the fact that an aircraft was once picked up, I am not too bothered about how many times or doing what flights..

First thing I need to do is strip out the frames picked up from all the clutter in my Basestation file (I populated it with one of the 'one size fits all' starter databases - which I wish I hadnt)

As I say I dont mind spending on the editing prog - as long as there is a point to it!

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:29:34 PM by 9M-ISJ »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2008, 05:51:57 PM »
9M-ISJ, you should be able to use SQLite Maestro to export aircraft from your Basestation Flights and Aircraft tables, and import that into you MyLog Aircraft table.  Just don't populate the MyLog Flights table.

Something like this:
SELECT DISTINCT
  "" AS Comment,
  Aircraft.Type AS AircraftTypeLong,
  Aircraft.FirstCreated AS FirstTime,
  Aircraft.ICAOTypeCode AS AircraftTypeSmall,
  Aircraft.RegisteredOwners AS Airline,
  Aircraft.ModeS,
  Aircraft.ModeSCountry,
  Aircraft.Registration,
  "" AS ADSB,
  Aircraft.LastModified AS LastTime
FROM
 Flights
 INNER JOIN Aircraft ON (Flights.AircraftID=Aircraft.AircraftID)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:54:26 PM by tarbat »

9M-ISJ

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2008, 05:55:29 PM »
Hi,

And once I have done that how will an aircraft which has been picked up both by the old SBS-1 and the RB show up in Mylog?

Would SQLite Maestro be useful for tackling aircraft in my data with the short type showing as ... or would you recommend using the inhouse database editor (trying to find another longer term use for the prog to justify the outlay of sixty Dollars!)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2008, 06:03:14 PM »
Why not try the 30-day free trial of SQLite Maestro - are they still doing that?

Okay, when you import into the MyLog Aircraft table in SQLite Maestro, you would select "Insert New" only, rather than "Update or Insert".

And tackling all the "..." aircraft is easy in SQLite Maestro.  For example, I regularly check for aircraft with missing details, using this query:

SELECT
  aircraft.MS,
  aircraft.AR,
  aircraft."AT",
  aircraft.AN,
  aircraft.AC,
  aircraft.CN,
  aircraft.PT,
  aircraft.LK,
  aircraft.PT2,
  aircraft.LK2
FROM
 aircraft
WHERE
  (aircraft."AT" = "...") OR
  (aircraft."AT" IS NULL) OR
  (aircraft."AT" = "")

Just note that you need to CLOSE Radarbox before doing updates in SQLite Maestro, to avoid database update conflicts.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:08:43 PM by tarbat »

9M-ISJ

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »
Cool, and then once it has shown you all the a/c with the ... short type, I take it you can click into the results one by one and update it?

abrad41

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2008, 07:07:58 PM »
Thank you tarbat

Without knowning it you have just made my life a lot easier

tarbat

« Reply #43 on: Today at 18:03:14 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why not try the 30-day free trial of SQLite Maestro - are they still doing that?

Okay, when you import into the MyLog Aircraft table in SQLite Maestro, you would select "Insert New" only, rather than "Update or Insert".

And tackling all the "..." aircraft is easy in SQLite Maestro.  For example, I regularly check for aircraft with missing details, using this query:

SELECT
  aircraft.MS,
  aircraft.AR,
  aircraft."AT",
  aircraft.AN,
  aircraft.AC,
  aircraft.CN,
  aircraft.PT,
  aircraft.LK,
  aircraft.PT2,
  aircraft.LK2
FROM
 aircraft
WHERE
  (aircraft."AT" = "...") OR
  (aircraft."AT" IS NULL) OR
  (aircraft."AT" = "")

Just note that you need to CLOSE Radarbox before doing updates in SQLite Maestro, to avoid database update conflicts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers

Andy