anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just Switched from SBS-1  (Read 38841 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Just Switched from SBS-1
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »
I really don't have any use for my SBS-1 now, and the only thing stopping me from selling it really is my tendency to keep all my old radio/computer/photography kit.  I did run it a month or so back for software testing, but as I'd rebuilt my hard drive since I'd run it last, I was frankly shocked at how basic the display was.  In fact, without going through all the back posts on the Kinetic forum, I couldn't honestly remember what 3rd party programs I had to install to get a usable display.

I get everything that I need and more from my RadarBox.  It's running on my primary PC screen now whilst I type this using the secondary LCD monitor.  I've got my alerts set up as I want, I'm uploading the screen by FTP to my website and the Network traffic is giving me the extra coverage that I need to see beyond my live range.  Without going into every advantage that RadarBox gives me, the alerts, FTP upload and Network traffic are just the first things that come to mind - all standard RadarBox functions, but none of these are available with the SBS-1.

When I go back down to London on Sunday evening, I'll throw the RadarBox reciver and USB cable into my bag and plug it into my laptop and standard antenna that I keep down in my weekday accommodation.  Walk in the door, fire up the laptop and I'm watching the Heathrow traffic, fantastic :-)

I'm following the thread on the SBS-1e on the Kinetic forum and as far as I can see, it doesn't seem to be generating much excitement right now.  Although the receiver bit of any Mode S package is always going to be important, it's the software and the user interface that are really going to make the difference at the end of the day.  RadarBox is so far ahead of the competition in this area, that it's almost unfair to compare the 2 products.

Just my opinion, but as a user of both boxes, this is how I see it.

Allocator

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 02:16:37 PM »
We do consider that RadarBox is an upgrade to our competition.

OK, I understand now - you're not using the word "upgrade" in the normal sense (i.e. moving from one product or service to a better one), you're including all new customers who have a choice between buying SBS and RadarBox and choose to buy RadarBox (which isn't the same thing at all).  I don't dispute any of your comments about the respective products or companies, by the way.

Also 90% of the users that buy the product from airnavsystems.com leave a comment on why they decided to buy RadarBox - because they had SBS-1 and that system got totally outdated.

But I do have a problem with this statement - am I reading it correctly, 9 out of 10 people buying RadarBox from you previously had an SBS?  That's hard to believe given that only a handful of forum members such as Allocator, Tarbat and a few others are recognisable from the Kinetic forum, or make any mention of having had an SBS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Kinetic or indeed seeking to knock RadarBox/AirNav, but when accusing a competitor of lying it's as well to ensure that your own statements are 100% truthful.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »
I think that's meant to say 9/10 people have looked at the SBS as an alternative and realised it was outdated.

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Tramline

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »
I think that's meant to say 9/10 people have looked at the SBS as an alternative and realised it was outdated.

This sums up my position.  I ordered RB having seen how outdated the SBS-1 appeared, but mainly because RB appeared simpler to plug in and use.  I'm a technophobe and when discussing SBS-1 and ini. files and  'point your files' etc I nearly fainted!!

I'll give an honest appraisal of RB - setting up from start to finish on this forum - when it arrives1
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »
On the airnavsystems.com order pages there is a check box for users to state they already have a mode-s receiver. If they check this box they usually leave a comment saying why they changed. 90pct of the users check that box and comment that SBS-1 is an outdated product without any kind of support.

DaveReid

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »
Well make up your mind !

In two successive posts you have stated that:

a) 90% is the proportion of AirNav users who have looked at the SBS before deciding that it was outdated and buying RadarBox instead (which sounds perfectly reasonable)

and then:

b) 90% is the proportion of AirNav users who ticked the box to say that they already had a Mode S receiver (i.e. SBS) prior to buying RadarBox (which is no more believable than when you said it first time round)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
Its b)

No need to blow it out of proportion. I know everything we say on here is scrutinized but we are human :)
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

abrad41

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »
Are Good Old DaveReid - I new I was missing something from the Kinetic forum - never wrong

DaveReid

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 03:36:28 PM »
Are Good Old DaveReid - I new I was missing something from the Kinetic forum - never wrong

On the contrary, I'm often wrong, but I've never discovered the secret to holding two contradictory opinions at the same time  :-)

Blackthorn

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 04:11:53 PM »
I previously owned a SBS-1 and have found the visual interface of the radar box program much easier to use and more pleasing to the eye. I managed to get up and running without reading the manual and have only referred to it when I have found it necessary to do so.

I am not certain other users will agree but in my location the radar box gives better coverage than my previous SBS-1 using the supplied mag mount antenna.

As a photographer I really like the photo image display and the ability to be notified when a particular aircraft is on-route.

I should also add how helpful members of this forum have been. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:14:27 PM by Blackthorn »

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »
Hi all, I've opted for the RB (winging its way from Maplins at this very moment @£374 incl. delivery - a week's wait for supplies to come in, but stock now available!) but I've been doing my homework, and the advantages of the RB over the SBS1, seem to be enormous - the support in here is fantastic.    In the 2 quotes DaveR is picking fault with, I note one comes from ANsupport and the other from ANDevelopment, yes, they should be saying the same thing at the same time, but the fact they actually contradict/correct the comments, is to my mind at least, a demonstration of the openness and honesty which is so apparent in this forum - a major factor in me going for the RB.   Paying visits to both forums, it seems certain handles crop up and will be mixing it.    I don't think there's anything of malicious intent in DaveR's comments, just trying to get a 100% clear confirmation of what is being claimed, but a couple of others do seem to be over-pedantic, critical and nit-picking.   These are allowed to remain on view here, but similar comments are censored and sometimes removed from the Kinetics site.

I'm 100% sure I've made the right choice, and look forward to 25/12 when I can get cracking.     I won't be getting on the network, until I've got an external antenna and dedicated PC on line - I've still got to rebuild my main desk-top Athlon XP2000 with 4GB RAM, the RB dedicated PC will be Athlon 1800 with 1GB and USB2 PCI card in the loft, - both running XP - I assume these will be adequate.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

abrad41

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 05:49:05 PM »
CoastGuardJon

I am a ex SBS-1 user, and I could not agree with you more, and agree with all the other comments made on this thread about the SBS-1.

Andy

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 07:19:49 PM »
Hi Dave. We do have exact stats on our online orders and from them "b) 90% is the proportion of AirNav users who ticked the box to say that they already had  a Mode S receiver (i.e. SBS) prior to buying RadarBox (which is no more believable than when you said it first time round)" is totally correct.

We also get many professional contacts buying RadarBox for professional purposes because, constantly, companies report Kinetic/SBS are too arrogant, not reliable and don't have any kind of support for more than 1 year.

To be honest: who cares??? We are growing, our users are happy, we keep working, this forum is full of interested people and getting busier each day.

There is no better thing to do what you love to do and all the AirNav team, fortunately, thinks like that. Let's hope 2009 brings us more surprises, starting with ShipTrax!

DaveReid

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 07:53:21 PM »
Hi Dave. We do have exact stats on our online orders and from them "b) 90% is the proportion of AirNav users who ticked the box to say that they already had  a Mode S receiver (i.e. SBS) prior to buying RadarBox (which is no more believable than when you said it first time round)" is totally correct.

Thank you for that - noted.

Do you have a ballpark figure for the resulting number of SBSs which users have replaced with RadarBoxes (i.e. the 90%) ?

DaveReid

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »
Hi Dave. We do have exact stats on our online orders and from them "b) 90% is the proportion of AirNav users who ticked the box to say that they already had a Mode S receiver (i.e. SBS) prior to buying RadarBox" is totally correct.

Thank you for that - noted.

Do you have a ballpark figure for the resulting number of SBSs which users have replaced with RadarBoxes (i.e. the 90%) ?

Hmmm, embarrassed silence ...

Don't your "exact stats" enable you to say whether the 90% of purchasers who have replaced SBS with RadarBox represent dozens/hundreds/thousands of users ?  That seems a simple enough question to me.