AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: antenna placing  (Read 20488 times)

mdobuk21

antenna placing
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:10:31 PM »
hi, at present my antenna is outside on my bedroom window cill and i recieve around 500 flights in mylog a day (liv in leeds 7mile from LBA), do you think i may get a bigger reception if my antenna was in the loft? sometimes i have no flights at all in myflights coloumn?!

cheers
Mark

Blackthorn

Re: antenna placing
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 10:23:31 PM »
Hi Mark

I have my antenna in the loft and track up to 120 flights via my radarbox at a time, I get excellent coverage from the South Coast to the Scottish Borders. I did have an external antenna but the results were not much better (Maybe cable loss etc) so I took it down.

The draw back for me is the supplied antenna only has 3 metres of cable where as my previous SBS had 5 which enabled me to get to the apex of the loft.

Kevin

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:28:43 PM »
Hi Mark, the higher and clearer in the air you can get your antenna, the better will be your range and reception.   1090 MHz is line of sight (although certain weather and atmospheric conditions can give some freaky reception of all radio frequencies).    A masthead amp or pre-amp just inside the loft where cable is routed in will also help.    A pre-amp needs to be as close to the antenna itself as possible, so it can amplify the desired RF signal rather than background "noise".   Some have a pre-amp at the rear of the Box, but (IMO) I don't see how this is really going to help anything, as the insertion of the pre-amp causes some loss of desired signal and is just boosting the whole signal unless there are some very efficient and clever filters built in.    Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

mdobuk21

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »
cheers kevin! my polar diagram shows coverage to newcastle to the north and around walasey to the west, just wanted to know if i could get a bit better coverage to the south!!

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:31:36 PM »
Hi Mark, what have you got in the way of obstructions to the south - if it's trees you'll probably notice a difference as the leaves fall.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

mdobuk21

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:31:47 PM »
cheers coastguardjon, not confusing at all! think im being greedy, just want a bit more coverage!

mdobuk21

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »
yeah its trees and houses thats why i thought if i put the antenna in the loft it may help?!

Tailwinds

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:24 PM »
Can you only put the antenna in the loft if it is near a loft window or skylight? I was thinking about putting mine in the loft but I thought signals would be blocked by the roof tiles. I too have my antenna on the upstairs bedroom window sill with fairly good results for Heathrow which is my nearest.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

Blackthorn

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »
The roof tiles do not obstruct my reception only the house next door :-(

Try it, you may be surprised.

mdobuk21

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »
just put my antenna in the loft ,see what results i get through the night!

mark

Blackthorn

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »
Mark

Try and place it as high as possible in the loft.

Kevin

Blackthorn

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »
Whilst on the subject of antennas I notice that some members have both SBS and Airnav systems, has anyone tried the SBS mobile whip on the Airnav and if so what were the results?

I would like to get the mobile whip a bit higher in the loft but the Radarbox antenna is only 3 metres but you can get the SBS one with 5 metres.

Kevin

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »
Whilst on the subject of antennas I notice that some members have both SBS and Airnav systems, has anyone tried the SBS mobile whip on the Airnav and if so what were the results?

I would like to get the mobile whip a bit higher in the loft but the Radarbox antenna is only 3 metres but you can get the SBS one with 5 metres.

Kevin

Kevin,

Why not get somebody like Moonraker to make up a patch lead with a male SMA connector on one end and a female SMA on the other.

Incidentally, I just bought a Moonraker Radar 100 vertical antenna and although it's just in a temporary position about 8 feet off the ground it is giving a much improved coverage.

BTW, I just got some nice pics of the NASA WB57 at Mildenhall this afternoon. I rushed over there having seen it on the climbout on the RB.

Regards,

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 05:14:24 PM »
Tom - do you want to put a WB57 pic in the Intersting Aircraft thread?

Rod
Rod

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 06:15:54 PM »
Rod,

Yes - I didn't know there was an interesting aircraft thread. Where is it?

Tom
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:23:06 PM by viking9 »
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk