AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: squawk code decoder  (Read 15011 times)

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
Re: squawk code decoder
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 08:24:16 AM »
Thank you Rod interesting stuff. I'm still in awe of the system! I live on a narrow boat on the Oxford Canal near a small village in the Midlands, around 11NM from Coventry Airport EGBE but on the main flightpath for Birmingham EGBB.
I'm gobsmacked I can see aircraft as far West as the Bristol Channel as far East as the Wash and North as far as Blackpool! Extraordinary!!!

Keith.

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 08:53:06 AM »
Herbert, the Swiss document starts with the sentence "For transponder codes (SSR codes), one unique zone including Switzerland, France and Germany has been created; this means that SSR codes are coordinated between the aviation authorities of these 3 countries.". Their use of the word "coordinated" I interpret to mean that these 3 countries use the same squawk codes, however I'm afraid I can't confirm that.

Tailwinds

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 10:38:02 AM »
What does it mean exactly when I track an aircraft over the UK for example and I see scrolling along the top in my Squawkbox...THY1979 4133 Transit (ORCAMB) Dusseldorf?
I know the first two parts are Flight ID and squawk code.

Thanks.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 10:49:14 AM »
What does it mean exactly when I track an aircraft over the UK for example and I see scrolling along the top in my Squawkbox...THY1979 4133 Transit (ORCAMB) Dusseldorf?

My understand, but correct me if I'm wrong.  It means that the squawk code has been assigned by ATC under the ICAO Originating Region Code Assignment Method (ORCAM), and the aircraft is probably going to or from Dusseldorf.

Very useful information if you don't know the route for an aircraft.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:54:16 AM by tarbat »

Tailwinds

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »
I'm still a bit confused by it though. For example, Here's another one currently in the vicinity of Heathrow....BAW162 3554 Transit (ORCAMBE) Berlin. It's coming from Tel-aviv (LLBG) to Heathrow (EGLL).
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 11:11:52 AM »
It probably entered Eurocontrol airspace under air traffic control at Berlin, so that tells you it probably flew through Germany en-route.

To be honest, I use Squawkbox more for the less usual squawk codes used on local and military aircraft - eg. LN-TWL, currently on SSR 6160 (Inverness Approach).  It helps me see which ATC has control.

And CCAMS will change how squawk codes are allocated, starting next year.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:19:12 AM by tarbat »