AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Squawk code decoder software  (Read 24579 times)

radarphil

Re: Squawk code decoder software
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 04:16:29 PM »
i have downloaded squawk code decoder but the decoder screen is blank but it says it is connected.on the instructions it says it works through port 30003 .how do if ind port 30003 can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong
regards
phil

Tailwinds

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »
Tailwinds, no, you don't need to do that.  The codes for Metropolitan Police ASU are 0043 - 0044, and these numbers aren't duplicated anywhere in the file.  Sussex Police ASU is 0045, so doesn't overlap with the Metropolitan Police ASU.

tarbut....

I understand now..thanks.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 08:17:15 PM »
Tailwinds, many thanks for confirming that the program works with .Net Framework 2.0 and for your kind comments! Appreciated!

viking9, the decoder file is squawk_codes.txt, a simple text file that lists the descriptions of the various squawk codes. You can edit this file yourself as long as you maintain the format described in the comments at the top of the file (a comment begins with ';' or anything non-numeric for that matter). The program, SquawkBox.exe, expects to find squawk_codes.txt on the same directory as it was started from. The idea was that users in countries other than the UK would customise (or is that customize) the file squawk_codes.txt for their particular country because the squawk codes are country dependent.

radarphil, don't worry about port 30003. That's just internal jargon used on the forum for the 'location' at which RadarBox outputs its flights to which can be picked up by add-on programs. SquawkBox handles the reading of this data by itself and you don't need to do anything more. I'd referred to port 30003 to distinguish it from the flight data output to recorded flight files. These are created by selecting "Start Recording..." from the menu. SquawkBox can also read these files while they are being created.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »
Andy,

Many thanks. I'm using squawk codes in conjunction with PlanePlotter and MyCircles to try to plot the track of non-positional aircraft.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Blackthorn

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 08:35:55 PM »
Andy,

You have done a great job, many thanks.

Kevin

radarphil

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 10:30:24 PM »
when using squawk box on sbs-1 it shows mode s code squark code and squawk locator but not airline prefix .how do you get the flight prefix to work on sbs-1 i have both set ups radarbox and sbs-1

radarphil

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 10:40:38 PM »
when using squawk box on sbs-1 it shows mode s code instead of flight code. squark code and squawk locator are ok but not airline prefix .how do you get the flight prefix to work on sbs-1 i have both set ups radarbox and sbs-1

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »
radarphil, it seems that as far as SBS-1 was concerned SquawkBox needed to listen to more than one message type to get the flight number. From information received by the guys on the SBS-1 forum I have just changed SquawkBox and uploaded it to its website. I am awaiting confirmation from the guys there that it now displays flight numbers. Unfortunately I don't have an SBS-1 myself so I have to leave it to others to tell me what's required and whether it works.

You can follow the discussion on the SBS-1 forum at:
http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=64119#64119
This change doesn't affect its functionality with RadarBox.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »
Squawkbox is excellent, I use it all the time, although with the 5-minute delay on port 30003 it may make it less useful in future.

So, if you really want real-time squawk code lookups in Radarbox itself, maybe you could support the feature request I posted in August - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1284.msg9534

doro

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 10:03:18 PM »
Great TOOL! Doro

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »
Quick question guys cos I'm a bit thick!? I spotted a non-ADS/B helicopter and checked the SQ which was 0621. It stated "Liverpool Airport". Does this mean it's near Liverpool Airport? Based @ the airport? travelling from or going to?

Cheers :)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »
nbquidditch, did you mean "0261"?

0261 is in a range that is used at several locations, so you'll need to edit the squawk_codes.txt file for you location:
0260 - 0261 Coventry Airport Conspicuity
0260 - 0261 Oil Survey Helicopters - Faeroes/Iceland Gap
0260 - 0267 Westland Helicopters Yeovil
0260 - 0267 RAF Northolt
0261 - 0267 Liverpool Airport

Given the current location of your boat, probably Coventry Airport.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:04:24 PM by tarbat »

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »
Ah! Yes I'm near Coventry. I may have written it down wrong! Not surprised really, every time a plane goes over I'm out of the window! LOL. Being close to Coventry Air Museum we get a good deal of oddities. For example we have Venom & a DC6 in British Eagle colours flying around quite often!
Thanks once again I'm new to all this. What the hell does Conspicuity mean :)

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »
Sorry forgot to ask. Do I simply open up the codes Txt file from the SB folder & simply edit & save?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 12:29:12 PM »
Yes, just open the squawk_codes.txt file in something like Notepad, make the changes, and then save.  Close Squawkbox before you do this though.