AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Squawk code decoder software  (Read 24581 times)

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
Squawk code decoder software
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »
For those of you interested in seeing a description of the squawk codes associated with your flights I have developed a program that reads flights from port 30003 or the recorded flight files and displays the ModeS code or flight number together with a description of the squawk code in a scrolling window. More details and the software download are at http://www.gfrost.co.uk/SquawkBox/

The software reads a text file describing the squawk codes. The file supplied with the software is already set up for the UK. Those of you in other countries will have to replace this file with your own list of squawk codes.

I am indebted to Tarbat for having the time to test this program and helping me with my connection problems.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Squawk code decoder software
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:16:15 PM »
And what an excellent program it is!!    I still wish we could get this information displayed in Radarbox itself, but this is a very useful addon.

I think it's worth saying that you would only use the recording file if you want squawk codes for non-ADS/B aircraft.  Otherwise, port 30003 is the better solution for ADS/B aircraft.

Andy, if you feel like developing another small program, I'd quite like a standalone program that allows me to type in the squawk code, and display the squawk allocation.  That would help with the 5-minute delay in the recording file, since I could just type in the squawk code when I see it in Radarbox, and see who it's allocated to.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:15:54 PM by tarbat »

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:03:04 PM »
I get an error when I try to run the program.

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »
Great add-on, helpful with radio traffic and frequencies.

Thanks for making it available.
Stuart

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:18:04 PM »
Andy, if you feel like developing another small program, I'd quite like a standalone program that allows me to type in the squawk code, and display the squawk allocation.  That would help with the 5-minute delay in the recording file, since I could just type in the squawk code when I see it in Radarbox, and see who it's allocated to.

No sooner said than done - many thanks Andy, that's great being able to lookup a single squawk code, great for decoding military squawks.

Cumulus

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »
Hi Andy,

I receive the following error in Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600, Service Pack 3 build 2600...

" Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135) Click on OK to terminate the application"

Cheers,

Peter

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »
Hmm, it would seem that you need the .Net Framework to run the program. See http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/freeway/92216-solved-application-failed-initialize-properly-0xc0000135.html. Sorry guys, I missed that one. The program is written in C# and obviously makes use of this. I'll need to check whether I can build this into the exe for now it looks like the .Net framework is required.

I've got the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5. I am also running Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

Cumulus

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »

Thanks, installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 resolved the issue.

Cheers,

Peter

Tailwinds

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 02:26:14 PM »
Does it have to be the 3.5 version? Looking in my Add/Remove programs, I see that I have Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 02:31:47 PM »
Yes, a very good add-on.

Its just a shame that it needed 60MB of Microsoft .Net installed for it to run.

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 02:41:24 PM »
Looking at the "Prerequisites" setting in my Visual Studio for SquawkBox it has got ".Net Framework 2.0" checked, so I think you should be ok with that. Please let me know if it works. Otherwise, the .Net Framework 3.5 can be obtained at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/cc378097.aspx

Yes indeed, nortonbeak, shame to have to download so much for such a small program, I'm stuck with what I'm given by Microsoft I'm afraid. You might however need the .Net framework for other programs (it's like needing DirectX installed for games etc.). I'll look into a way round this or to make one installation of it.

Tailwinds

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
Andy...

Yes, I can confirm that it does work with .Net Framework 2.0 (SP1).

Thanks very much indeed for giving us this addon.

I'm so glad you gave us those options to choose from. I needed to slow the scrolling text down and choose a more subdued colour such as Dim Grey and Maroon to avoid the flickering I was experiencing. I've got it set up beautifully now.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:32:46 PM by Tailwinds »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »
Just using this for a couple of hours highlights how useful squawk codes are for non-positional aircraft.  A couple of examples:

1. I had an RAF Tornado at FL210, so it could have been over the Tain Bombing Range near me.  A quick check of the squawk code showed that it was near RAF Leuchars.

2. An RAF VC10, with squawk 5107, so nearer Boulmer than me.

A note to other users.  You may need to edit the squawk_codes.txt file to remove some of the duplicate lines, ensuring that the ones appropriate for your area are selected.  I use ";" to comment out the line.  For example (selecting Aberdeen as my nearest):
2640 - 2657 Aberdeen (Northern North Sea Off-shore - Sumburgh Sector)
; 2641 - 2642 RAF Cranwell - Lincolnshire AIAA
; 2646 - 2647 MoD Boscombe Down - High Risks Trial
; 2650 MoD Boscombe Down Conspicuity
; 2650 - 2653 Leeds Bradford Approach
; 2651 - 2657 MoD Boscombe Down
; 2654 Leeds Bradford Conspicuity
; 2655 - 2677 Leeds Bradford Approach

Tailwinds

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
tarbat...

so that I know exactly what I'm doing with regard to your post about editing the Squawk Codes.txt file, as a Londoner here in the S/E, I would comment out for example, Sussex Police ASU, Essex Police ASU, etc and just leave Metropolitan Police ASU....yes?

Thanks.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »
Tailwinds, no, you don't need to do that.  The codes for Metropolitan Police ASU are 0043 - 0044, and these numbers aren't duplicated anywhere in the file.  Sussex Police ASU is 0045, so doesn't overlap with the Metropolitan Police ASU.