anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thinking of buying questions  (Read 3109 times)

ajs007

Thinking of buying questions
« on: November 07, 2008, 05:12:02 AM »
3 Things
1: I’m thinking of getting a airnav radar box my question is with radios and other things going digital or gps how long will adb-s be around for or is it something that will be around and not change much
Basically I want to know if I get one in 1 year will it be useless
2: I live near a military training area for the RAAF will I be able to see them
3: The local rescue choppers has TCAS can I see them

I live in NSW Australia if that helps

Thanks

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Thinking of buying questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »
Hi AJS007 and welcome.

3 Answers

1 - ADS-B is digital and uses GPS (in aircraft which have the correct equipment) and is being introduced around the world - there are FAQ's and threads on this forum on the subject, including this one: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1040.0. It's definitely the future, not the past!

2 - most military aircraft let you know they are up there by broadcasting a Mode-S signal, which includes their unique code to identify the airframe, and usually their squawk and altitude, but they don't broadcast their position, for obvious security reasons, so we can't plot them on a map. RadarBox picks up the signal and will show the aircraft in the reception list, "MyFlights", but will only show them on the map and shere them on the network if they broadcast position - "ADS-B".

3 - as with answer 2, most GA aircraft and helicopters don't have ADS-B, and most don't even have Mode-S yet. In the UK, all official choppers, including air ambulance and police, have Mode-S but not ADS-B. so, again, we know theye're there, but we don't know where.

At the moment, most contacts displayed by RB are civil (and military) airliners, but more and more aircraft are being equipped with ADS-B, so things will only improve with time. RB is a good investment!

Hope that helps.

Rod
Hope that helps
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:18:56 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »
I live in NSW Australia if that helps

Take a look at https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/flying/updates/adsb/uap.asp if you need any reassurance that ADS-B, particularly in Australia, is here to stay.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:55:51 PM »
"ADS-B services are currently being provided to around 675 individual aircraft of various types ranging from a Jabiru Ultralight to Bell helicopters, DHC8s, A330s and B747s. Approved aircraft operators include private pilots, flying schools, search and rescue operators, regional, national and international air transport carriers."

Nice to see the different types they are providing for.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]