anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Destination Anomoly  (Read 5905 times)

Tailwinds

Destination Anomoly
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:40:39 PM »
I'm only a three day old Radar Box user and I have a query. I tracked a Network flight that was showing EGKK (Gatwick) to EGJJ (Jersey). Thing is, it was actually heading in the direction towards Gatwick. Checking the Jersey arrivals page, I see that this flight had actually landed an hour previously. I then checked the Jersey departures but could not see the flight number for the aircraft that was showing on the label on the radar. I then checked Gatwick arrivals and no mention of it there. What's happening with regard to this situation?

Thanks.

Here's a screen shot.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:49:49 PM by Tailwinds »
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Destination Anomoly
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »
Maybe the crew forgot to update the flight computer with the correct callsign.

According to http://www.flightroutelookup.com/FlightRoute/FlightLookup.wso?op=FlightLookup, EGKK to EGJJ is correct:

- <Flight>
  <FlightNumber>BAW8047</FlightNumber>
  <Callsign>Speedbird 8047</Callsign>
- <Leg>
- <Origin>
  <ICAOCode>EGKK</ICAOCode>
  <IATACode>LGW</IATACode>
  <AirportName>LONDON/GATWICK</AirportName>
  <Country>UNITED KINGDOM</Country>
  </Origin>
- <Destination>
  <ICAOCode>EGJJ</ICAOCode>
  <IATACode>JER</IATACode>
  <AirportName>JERSEY</AirportName>
  <Country>UNITED KINGDOM</Country>
  </Destination>
  <GCDistanceNM>139</GCDistanceNM>
  <DistanceFromOriginNM>76</DistanceFromOriginNM>
  <DistanceFromDestinationNM>66</DistanceFromDestinationNM>
  </Leg>
  </Flight>

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:47:40 PM by tarbat »

Tailwinds

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 10:08:31 PM »
Well I had no doubt about the flight to Jersey because I saw the flight number listed on the arrivals page and that it had landed. Can't understand why the return trip back to EGKK was still showing EGJJ. I was wondering if it was an Airnav Radar database anomoly.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »
Well I had no doubt about the flight to Jersey because I saw the flight number listed on the arrivals page and that it had landed. Can't understand why the return trip back to EGKK was still showing EGJJ. I was wondering if it was an Airnav Radar database anomoly.

I have G-EUPD logged flying EGKK-EGJJ as BAW8047 this evening, and returning EGJJ-EGKK as BAW8048.

Though not on RadarBox ... :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Tailwinds

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 07:45:15 AM »
That's the one. BA G-EUPD (BAW8047) which landed in Jersey at approx 7pm last night, had the same flight number and still showing EGKK-EGJJ on it's return trip from Jersey to Gatwick. It's clear that you had the correct information on your (not Airnav) box. I'm hoping that someone here can give me an answer as to why this may have happened.

Deadcalm

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
If you look back through posts on this forum, you'll see that there have been various reports of route anomalies for one reason or another.  This particular one may or may not be related to RadarBox, but we are assured by Airnav that work is in progress to tighten up the Routes database.  I, for one, look forward to that in the near future.

(Sorry this got posted in the wrong thread earlier!!)

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

tommyg

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:10:21 PM »
I think you will will find that although most of the BA fleet have ADSB it is not being used operationally at the moment. I have seen a document stating that all aircraft will be using ADSB operationally from early 2009. This is maybe why we have these anomalies.
Tommyg

DaveReid

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »
If you look back through posts on this forum, you'll see that there have been various reports of route anomalies for one reason or another.  This particular one may or may not be related to RadarBox, but we are assured by Airnav that work is in progress to tighten up the Routes database.  I, for one, look forward to that in the near future.

It would appear that the issue isn't the tie-up between the callsign and the route - the radar screenshot correctly shows that BAW8047 flies EGKK-EGJJ.

The problem is the tie-up between the flight and the callsign - at the time the aircraft was in the position shown, it was broadcasting BAW8048, and not the BAW8047 that's displayed in the screenshot.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »
I have seen a document stating that all aircraft will be using ADSB operationally from early 2009.

No chance.

tommyg

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 01:47:05 PM »
By that I mean't BA aircraft. I also know the crew do not input correct callsigns into the system as we have had a number of reports of errors.
Tommyg