anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How reliable is RadarBox for ATC purposes?  (Read 8694 times)

dealer

How reliable is RadarBox for ATC purposes?
« on: October 31, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »
Conventional radar (secondary surveillance system) at my local airport is down. The air traffic controller are using radio communication to contact aircraft.
I have introduced the airnav radar box and they where impressed with the accuracy.I have installed one at the air traffic control center.
they are using the airnav radar for tracking flights.
how reliable is the airnav radar box?should the air traffic controllers rely on it for postion,altitude,callsign etc..

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:13:34 AM by AirNav Support »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: HOW RELIABLE IS THE AIRNAV
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »
should the air traffic controllers rely on it for postion,altitude,callsign etc..

No way.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

dealer

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »
why no way?

air traffic controllers only monitoring the flights

cosmoc

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 04:30:14 AM »
if it is just for monitoring and not interferring it might be ok. but to use it to direct aircraft their should be a proper radar in place:-)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 05:25:54 AM »
Although RadarBox is being used by hundreds of professionals it was not designed/certified for air traffic control/traffic separation so it cannot be used for air traffic control purposes.

dealer

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:33:48 AM »
AIRNAV RADAR BOX advertisment on airports of the world  said it can be used for medium sized airports/airfields for tracking purpose.
so now does this mean your AIRNAV RADAR box DOES NOT broadcast accurate information.The purpose is to collect information such as callsign registration altitude dest and origin and not to vector any aircraft

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 08:41:44 AM »
why no way?

air traffic controllers only monitoring the flights

Neither RadarBox or the "other" Mode S virtual radar give any indication of the accuracy, or otherwise, of the reported positional data.  Using such a device to maintain separation between an aircraft supplying accurate GNSS positional data and one using INS/IRS position fixes (with the potential for significant drift error) could have catastrophic consequences.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:20:42 AM »
AIRNAV RADAR BOX advertisment on airports of the world  said it can be used for medium sized airports/airfields for tracking purpose.
so now does this mean your AIRNAV RADAR box DOES NOT broadcast accurate information.The purpose is to collect information such as callsign registration altitude dest and origin and not to vector any aircraft

There is a huge difference between "tracking" and "providing an ATC Service"

I will give you an example - at airfields I have worked at, the Visual Control Room (VCR) has a slave display of the radar used by the controllers downstairs on Approach.  The VCR display is to give the Tower controllers situational awareness of the traffic situation, particularly with aircraft on final approach out to about 15 miles.  Even though this display is coming from the same source as the radar displays in Approach, the ATC orders specifically state that the VCR slave display cannot be used for providing a control service. The display is not calibrated in any way and therefore cannot be used for providing a separation service.

An exception was granted to allow controllers to pass traffic information to each other using this display, but it was not permitted to give an aircraft traffic information based on the VCR display.

RadarBox can be used for such "situational awareness", but not for control or traffic information to aircraft.  Remember, you are not going to see aircraft on the map if they don't have full ADS-B.  It's always the aircraft that you can't see that are the danger.

dealer

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:45:01 PM »
i disagree with Davereid because when the aircraft equipped with ADS-B broadcast signals and the radar box recieves and decodes it , i get an accurate information on the radar. we have contacted pilots and asked them of their altitude callsign registartion v rate etc.. and we compared it with the information on the screen it is exactly the same.We know that non ADS-B equipped aircraft cant be shown on the screen we are just using it for situational awareness and tracking and not for control.it is just amazing we get precise information on the radar!!

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:55:40 PM »
Hi dealer, why are you asking these questions if you're just going to contradict or argue against what is said in the answers given?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

dealer

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 10:03:42 PM »
so whats your answer on the reliability of the airnav radar box coastguardJon???

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
It can only be as accurate as the data information it is receiving, GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »
Dealer

Have a read of this little thread: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1553.msg12230#msg12230

Hope it helps.

Rod
Rod

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »
I know I haven't got one yet (RB), so probably shouldn't be sticking my neb in, but does anyone else find this thread, and dealer's questions and understanding of the RadarBox rather disturbing?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: How reliable is RadarBox for ATC purposes?
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 01:25:49 AM »
I have renamed the subject of this post as may confuse people. Furthermore the username dealer does not mean he is the dealer in RadarBoxes. That just his username. Infact we know he works in a ATC.

At present ADS-B is not used by ATC as  source for vectoring aircraft because there are still issues regarding the data being correct and security.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]