AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When i buy one...  (Read 8281 times)

meesh

When i buy one...
« on: October 20, 2008, 03:01:21 PM »
Please (as i am no computer genius) could somebody explain to me exactly what i will get,then have to do once I have purchased my radar box.
How simple is it??
Just plug in ,load the cd then is that it??
Need questions answering like-
Where will i put the antenna
What other hardware do i need to buy etc etc
Please help guys,I am new to this but very desperate to purchase a radar box asap,but I need to know what I am doing first !!!
Thanks in advance
Meesh

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: When i buy one...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »
Hi Meesh and welcome.

Not asking many questions, are you!  :-)

All you need is a PC, although some people have sucessfully used a Mac. You need a good view of the sky from somewhere near your computer, so that the aerial supplied with the box can also have a good view, because it's line-of-sight - it can see the same way as we humans can see.

If you can't arrange it like that, you need an external aerial to fix on the roof to get a better view (about 50 GB pounds), and low-loss cable to connect it to the RadarBox. I've got 15m of cable that cost me 100 GB pounds, including the adaptor to connect it. Some people use a mast-head pre-amplifier to boost the signal, but I'm happy without one.

After that, you just need to download the full version of the latest software from this site http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/support.html (you can download it in advance and run it in demo mode for free - strongly recommended), and then it is literally plug-and-play. You don't need the CD at all, except that it carries the ID and password to get the box running.

If you connect to the internet as well, you get extra goodies - the aircraft database that comes with RB gets constantly updated, you get photos of the actual aircraft you're picking up, and details of many of the routes they're flying, and you can share your info on the network, which other users can see, and you can see the info that they're picking up (with a 5 minute delay).

Any more questions, just ask!

Rod
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:55:05 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

meesh

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:58:07 PM »
Thanks Rod !!!
It just seems so much to take in,but I was hoping it was just really a case of plugging in and off we go !
I am obviously torn between this product and (as it is called on here) the competition.
Each to their own i suppose,but I want something simple LIKE ME then as i say off we go
Cheers

RodBearden

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »
Meesh

I've never used the SBS-1, but from what I see on the forum, RB is MUCH easier, especially if you are a non-techie. Apparently it needs lots of add-on programs to give it the same features that are built-in to RB.

When I bought my RB, I used it for a couple of weeks to see what my reception was like, and then read the various threads on the forum to see what external aerial would be suitable. Once I had bought it, I got a local TV aerial company to erect it for me, which cost an extra 50 GB pounds.

Rod
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:05:49 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

meesh

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »
Smashing that Sir,just what i wanted to hear,the less messing about the better.
Thanks Again

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »
Meesh,

Its very simple to get started with the RadarBox. It should not take you longer than 5mins to be up and running and seeing lots of informatio and details. If you go with the competitors you will be lost very quickly and will have to do a lot configuration to get anywhere near RadarBoxes features.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

meesh

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 04:14:48 PM »
My mind is made up,no need to convince me anymore.
Order to be placed asap
Thanks for help

RodBearden

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 04:18:27 PM »
Excellent!

Let us know when you're up and running!

Rod
Rod

meesh

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
Will do...because i will probably be on here for advice to get me started!

Terry

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »
Meesh,You made the right choice,I have both systems and have not used the other since i got the RB.There are too many 3rd party add ons that you have to download and configure as AirNav rightly state,with the RB its easy.If your not sure there is always the forum,someone will always help you,so don`t be afraid to ask even AirNav,they are so accommodating,Welcome to the world of AirNav Meesh.

Regards Terry.     

juangelb

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
    • Máquinas Voadoras
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 09:35:52 AM »
Hi Meesh,

I also started with SBS-1 ...when it was the only one ADS-B available on the market...
As RB was lauched, quickly bougt one, and at this time SBS-1 is retired since a lot of time... let it aside...
In my opinion RB is much better, and very easy to work with...
SBS-1 is very combersome to to put it to work with some features, even because You need a lot of third part softwares for it that in RB came already built in.
So very happy with RB that bougth 2 more units, one of them I left at Buenos Aires and catching the USB trough the internet ... and works as it would be here (Sao Paulo), but catching the flights from Buenos Aires.

Cheers - Juan

peteeds

• RADIO AMATEUR (2W1FJZ - MW3PET )
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »
Hy all.  I to am a newby on this forum, I also have stepped over from the other side (sbs1) after spending about £ 1k trying to improve my system ie external aerials, masts & preamps etc . I bought my RB on saturday at the Llandudno Radio Rally, Installed it on Sunday, Updated the latest software on monday & have not been able to leaveit alone since. Brilliant product & so easy to set up with all the features i wanted allready on the system, Just need to pop to maplins now for an adapter for my external aerial
Well Chuffed, Great Product.

Peteeds.  Llangollen North Wales.

Tailwinds

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 02:12:05 PM »
I only got my box on Saturday 1st November. Software 2009 was already installed a week before and I couldn't wait to get out of "Demo Mode".
Installation is a breeze. Quick and easy. I was tracking flights at Heathrow (my nearest), within a few minutes just from using the supplied ariel on the bedroom window sill.
The beauty of this box is that it is made of metal as opposed to plastic and it's so small and light. It's money well spent as far as I'm concerned. I've shown this to a couple of friends now and one of them has since downloaded the 2009 software and will soon purchase his box.

Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 02:25:49 PM »
Great to hear that your happy. We are here to help if you need any and also send us your requests.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »
Hi Peteeds and welcome!

Hope you've got a tall aerial mast - it's a bit hilly round you, isn't it?

Do you get Belugas looming over you? Looks like you might be on the approach to Hawarden there.

Rod
Rod