anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Database Explorer  (Read 39875 times)

Paulc

Database Explorer
« on: October 15, 2008, 08:15:41 AM »
Is there a way to open the database explorer without having to run airnav itself as it is very slow to respond with airnav running. (share data is off / networking off, no other applications running in background etc)

Also the autopopulate function does not seem to do much - I was in the USA recently and have a lot of codes to add and I was hoping that by using the 'populate' function it might add some of the missing info. It came back with approx 1800 which a) took a while to download and b) added very little to the missing info in the 'mylog' screen. Does it add this info elsewhere?

I still get a lot of aircraft whose details are in the GAS database but do not seem to download to the system.

Would clearing out the 'mylog' help ? (reluctant to do this with almost 10,000 records picked up since May)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Database Explorer
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 08:49:24 AM »
Paul,

First, a quick recap :-)

There are 2 databases used by RadarBox:

- NavData.db3 which is the source database that comes populated with thousands of aircraft when you install RB.  This is the database that is used to display aircraft details in the aircraft list and on the map.  The RB autopopulate populates this database.

- MyLog.db3 is the list of "live" aircraft you have picked up with your antenna.  MyLog.db3 shoild be empty when you install RB. MyLog is filled in with the details from the NavData.db3 database as you receive aircraft.  If aircraft details are missing from this, then either the aircraft isn't in the GAS database, or the record has been written to MyLog.dbe before the aircraft details have been autopopulated into NavData.db3 - if for instance it was a "new" aircraft.

There are a number of SQL database manipulation programs that you can use to edit the NavData.db3 table, but don't get confused here between this and MyLog.db3.  Editing MyLog.db3 will only change the historical records and will make no difference to what is seen in the aircraft lists or on the map.

The Populate function in MyLog gathers information from the NavData.db3 table to fill in the details for empty records, and it might also look at the AirNav server for details.  It certainly downloads missing thumbnail photos.

Just be careful if you use a different program to edit the SQL databases - always make a backup in case you make a mess of it.

Paulc

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
So which database is database explorer then ?  (assume navdata one)

Most of the aircraft that are failing to autopopulate are in the GAS database so should be in the navdata database?

It is quite frustrating getting lots of modeS codes for aircraft that should have the details in the system.

I picked up a code for G-FBEM a fairly new Emb190 for Flybe - (401D66 i think) yet despite running the autopopulate last evening it still does not return any info in the data line. (yes it is in the GAS database so should have been downloaded at the time)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:58:23 AM »
There's a long-standing problem with the Airnav central database of aircraft not getting updated from GAS as quickly as some of us would like.

The technique I use to automate the population of up to 100 aircraft at a time from GAS is described at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1489.msg11716#msg11716

Paulc

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:28:07 AM »
Tarbat,

thanks for that but tinkering with SQL is way beyond my IT comfort zone.

Will have to do more manual input.

Still no answer to the question of if i can open database explorer without having airnav running - this would speed up the process a lot.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »
Still no answer to the question of if i can open database explorer without having airnav running - this would speed up the process a lot.
The answer is no.  The only way is to use an SQLite database tool - I use SQLite Maestro for all my database updates, it's a lot easier than using the Database Explorer in ANRB.

One thing to note.  When using Database Explorer, turning OFF "Process Hardware Flights" can make the process smoother.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »
Search Google for Sqlite editing applications and you will find many, some of them free. You can easily edit any of RadarBox dbs with these programs.

Paulc

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
thanks for the replies

Paulc

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »
How frequently is the airnav central database updated from GAS ? as I would hope this is done on a monthly basis as a minimum with more frequently being better.

I guess the only way to avoid these problems is to input manually some of those aircraft you are likely to see in a specific location ie MCO has a lot of Jetblue / Airtran / Southwest so it may be worth spending some time adding these codes before making a trip.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »
The central database is updated daily. Whenever a mode-s is not found there we retrieve data from GAS.

Paulc

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »
Really? - that does surprise me given that I pick up aircraft which have carried the same reg for months or longer yet no details appear in the data line. I picked up the code for G-FBEM a newish Flybe E195 (which was delivered a couple of weeks ago and details are on GAS) Even after running the re-populate and being online for a couple of hours each evening this week it still does not show up with anything other than the mode s code in the info line. I am assuming that being online will connect to the airnav central database and get the latest updates?  As for network flights clicking on those with no info does nothing to fill in the details - i get 'processing 1 request or similar' but nothing else.

Does the central database have complete worldwide fleet lists of airlines / mode
s codes ?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »
Paulc, check to see if that aircraft is in your aircraft table at all - ModeS hex code is 405D66.  If it's in the table with a blank entry, it will never get populated.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »
Really? - that does surprise me given that I pick up aircraft which have carried the same reg for months or longer yet no details appear in the data line. I picked up the code for G-FBEM a newish Flybe E195 (which was delivered a couple of weeks ago and details are on GAS) Even after running the re-populate and being online for a couple of hours each evening this week it still does not show up with anything other than the mode s code in the info line. I am assuming that being online will connect to the airnav central database and get the latest updates?  As for network flights clicking on those with no info does nothing to fill in the details - i get 'processing 1 request or similar' but nothing else.

Does the central database have complete worldwide fleet lists of airlines / mode
s codes ?

Paulc,

Is your Firewall blocking RB when it tries to contact the AirNav server?  It sounds as if none of your aircraft are being autopopulated.  When you use the Database Explorer and select the "aircraft" list, how many records are there - it's shown at the bottom of the list.  Is this number increasing on a daily basis - if not, then it sounds like no records are being populated.

The autopopulate function works very well, so if you are seeing no change, then something is wrong.

phil zech

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 03:54:03 PM »
Allocator,

New user, still getting used to features

This is of interest to me.

Whilst on Network Flights ,when I scroll to bottom of list ,there are always 10/15 aircraft with no details populated for them , I left click where Registration should be , it then says processing/photos etc , it then brings up aircraft details further up the list for whatever airline it might be , photo and all.

Do this mean that whenever that aircraft is detected on Network it will show as it is part of my database.

Sorry for being longwinded but dont how else to describe what I mean.

Many thanks

Regards

Phil

Paulc

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 03:56:57 PM »
Hi Tarbat,

Yes it is in the table because I added it manually yesterday.

One that is not is 0A8013 = C6-BFM 727-200 of Bahamasair which has carried that reg since 2004. It is in 'mylog' though as it was picked up live not via the network.

Am showing 79500 approx records - no firewall installed either