AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not receiving many flights  (Read 23672 times)

oceans777

Re: Not receiving many flights
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Still, we do not know why it clicks at a frequency only wives can hear.. :-)

Terry

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 06:59:05 PM »
Thank you both Karl and Peter for you time and input on this "strange" event.I think you both have answered the question posed,and i think both of the answers given to me by my mate and the engineer were in good faith but i think(as you both say) it was insufficient power from the 12v DC supply but they both got it the wrong way round,but it all turned out fine so put in down to experience as they say.Yes Karl,a fantastic hobby which can only get better and better(Boys and their toys)as time goes on,thank you both once again.

Regards Terry.

P.S. Shhhhh.Our good ladies my be listening downstairs and find out just what we`re doing with our money,He!He!.

pcochrane12

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
hope not could be in trouble if she does

Terry

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »
I got my wife to dig a 1.5 meter hole,she thought i was going to put a pond in the garden until she saw the binoculars,map and an old ARP tin hat,bless her she`s been there since 7-30am,i told her i enroled her in the Royal Observer Corps.You know she`s not moaned once today(hoooooray).

Regards while i`m still alive Terry.

pcochrane12

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 07:48:48 PM »
send me your shovel oh great one

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »
length of LMR-400 (about the same as EcoFlex but solid core instead of stranded) that I plan to use. The coax from the power side of the amp back inside to the bias t is about 60'.

Hi Oceans, get the best/highest grade co-ax you can, if there's any chance of vibration in the wind, go for a multiple core co-ax, single core will start to degrade and fracture if subjected to physical/mechanical forces, why you'll only find "flex" cables in a car, single core is fine in a permanent position, eg house wiring.     As I've mentioned before lag connectors in silicone grease (not sealer, esp. not that which smells of vinegar - that will attack copper) which will stop corrosion - far more effective in my experience than self-amalgamating rubber tape, which will degrade and crack in UV light.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

oceans777

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »
Thanks Jon,

Using Times-Microwave LMR-400 which is outstanding and it's properly secured without having bends or movement. I learned what you're saying the hard way a few years back :-)

flightchecker

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 07:42:05 AM »
and an old ARP tin hat

What is that supposed to be Terry? (honest question, not yoking) As one that is living on the "continent" this might be something only known by an "islander".

Hi Peter, hope you're doing good! Thanks for the enlightenment regarding the "clicking mystery".

Karl
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:18:07 AM by flightchecker »

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 08:42:02 AM »
and an old ARP tin hat

What is that supposed to be Terry? (honest question, not yoking) As one that is living on the "continent" this might be something only known by an "islander".

Hi Peter, hope you're doing good! Thanks for the enlightenment regarding the "clicking mystery".

Karl

Ahhh ..... you youngsters :-)

An ARP tin hat is the old style British World War 2 Air Raid Precautions (ARP) military helmet.  It looks like a large dinner plate bent to the shape of a shallow bowl - ant therefore ideal as a mounting for the standard RB magnetic antenna.  You can then wear the "tin hat" and carry your laptop and hardware receiver and you have the ultimate portable setup :-)

The ARP Warden was the chap who went around making sure that no lights were showing to attract enemy bombers.  Have you seen the excellent BBC comedy series "Dad's Army"

"Put that light out!"

flightchecker

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
Ahhhhhh……………..Got it allocator !!!

and of course have seen the ARP on many occasions.  My favorite picture: a british “Bren Carrier” and its crew, all of them wearing “ARPs”.

You can then wear the "tin hat" and carry your laptop and hardware receiver and you have the ultimate portable setup :-)

Excellent !!! a lightning protector even in addition, (for the RB and laptop of course) as it will pickup all of a lightnings energy, bleeding it through the ARP porter, “tin hat” and porter finally melting, but the RB surviving.

Anyone willing to do “Betatesting” ? Allocator will arrange with AirNav.

And thanks sooooo much for the “youngsters” Allocator. The one, that’s just posting is approaching its 70th.

Feeling good talking to all of you,

Karl

PS.: “ESD” is something else in this concert, has been extremly stressed before , no discussion on that any more. AirNav won’t like it.   ;)

K.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:23:11 AM by flightchecker »

Terry

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »
Karl,
       Congratulations on your 70th when it arrives,but i`m no spring chicken and no doubt many other users aren`t either,but although the exterior may not look so young,the interior still holds a brain that still feels young and lively,enjoy life while you can,and of course the RB.

Regards Terry.

flightchecker

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »
Enjoyed the above very much, as you sure might suggest, Terry.

Regards, and of course we'll meet again in the forum

Karl

pcochrane12

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »
happy birthday karl still no report on the pre-amp failures yet will pm you when they come in
paul

flightchecker

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »
Thanks so much Paul,

"expect" your PM regarding the above.

Karl