anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Long purple lines?  (Read 4357 times)

oceans777

Long purple lines?
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »
Hope it is ok to post screen shots in this forum - since it's a technical question.

As you can see from the attachments, I am getting enormously long purple lines that suddenly appear for no apparent reason and seem to lead to no aircraft (not in my range). The lines extend out and run across the entire map usually. Occurs randomly no matter how long RB has been running, four or five times a day.
They usually vanish after about five minutes.
I am running RB2009 on Windows XP Pro SP3 -  fast machine, Xeon 8-core Mac Pro.
I've had the same lines appear when I ran RB2009 in Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card with all 3D options (Anti-aliasing and ansiotropic filtering set to "application controlled".

I've had the same lines appear running RB2009 on my laptop which has an ATI-based graphics card though.

Closing and re-starting RB clears the lines.

oceans777

Re: Long purple lines?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
Sorry to post again but wanted to include this one - worst one yet.
I also notice it dramatically skews my polar plot along the horizontal axis of the lines - normally I am lucky to get 75 miles east but after the purple lines clear off the polar plot reaches all the way into Arizona - hundreds of miles where no aircraft was tracked. Same to the west.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 05:55:54 PM by oceans777 »

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 06:10:14 PM »
A known effect caused by an aircraft giving wrong or false positions.  There will be an aircraft at both ends of the line, first one end and then the other.  Do a search here of "purple rain" I think it was.

There is discussion as to whether this is deliberate or accidental on the part of the aircraft.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »

oceans777

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 06:16:54 PM »
Ahhhh, I missed that post - thanks very much Allocator!

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »
A way of getting rid of the purple rain is to go to File...Preferences, and reduce the "seconds to remove trail lines" to 1

Problem is that you won't get any trail lines at all, but apparently the trail lines take quite a bit of processor power, so your map display might get smoother!

EDIT - another way to get rid of them is just to turn Hardware flights off for a moment - RB then forgets where they were, and they start growing again when you turn the Hardware flights back on.

Rod
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:36:53 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

oceans777

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
Cool, I'll try it out, thanks!