AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: User in South Africa?  (Read 9821 times)

RNAGG

• Aerococus
User in South Africa?
« on: September 20, 2008, 07:16:20 PM »
Any user in South Africa?

asecna

Re: User in South Africa?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:53:18 AM »
Not in S.A. but in Senegal, Dakar. You will be suprised how many aircraft are ADS-B fitted (about 25% here in Dakar).
Welcome to the club!

RNAGG

• Aerococus
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:32:37 AM »
Thanks for your information!

Regards,

Renato Nagg
São Paulo - Brazil

marcdeklerk

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
Im in South Africa, have had the unit for over a year now, my database have in excess of 1500 aircraft, regards Marc

abaubert

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »
Hello
I can't see anything for South Africa and other african countries.
Sorry for the stupid question, but why ?
I understood there were a series of Ground stations to retrieve data and feed the system. Why am I not displaying anything with either AirNav Live Flight or AirNav Suite 4 ?
Thanks much
Alexandre

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 06:55:30 PM »
Hi Alexandre

As far as RadarBox is concerned, it relies on each user of the system having their RadarBox switched on and connected to the internet. They can then send details of all the ADS-B equipped aircraft in their vicinity to the RB server for sharing with all the other users.

So, first there have to be RB users in the area, and second, there have to be ADS-B aircraft around. At the moment, unfortunately, there are very few users in Africa, and very few ADS-B aircraft for them to pick up.

As Marc has said before, even though he's got both, his use of the internet is very expensive, so he's not connected most of the time, so we can't see his data (and he can't see ours).

There are more people buying RB all the time, more and more aircraft are being fitted with the equipment, and internet access for most people is getting easier and cheaper, so it's constantly improving.

Hope that helps.

Rod
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:34:50 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

abaubert

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:36:38 PM »
Perfect explanation Rod. Thanks
What strikes me is the fact that there is not one central database (IATA or what ever) of all the flights goind around this planet
I will probably by a ARB soon and plug it in Luanda. But as you say, we cannot be sure that TAAG, Ethipian Airlines, Uganda etc... are using ADS-B

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 08:17:54 PM »
Hi Alexandre

It will be great if you do set up the RB with an internet connection in Luanda! Look forward to seeing it on the network.

You will find that most of the modern aircraft that fly to and from Europe will already be fitted with ADS-B. Also remember that many aircraft are fitted with Mode-S transmitters, so that you can identify them on the RadarBox, but, as they don't broadcast their position, you won't see them on the map, and they won't be shown on the network.

As to a flights database, it would be nice, but it's a moving target - they're always changing, so a global database would be very useful, but difficult.

Hope that helps - hope you get that RadarBox soon!

Rod
Rod

asecna

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »
Hello
I can answer partially. At least TAAG have some long haul aircraft (B777 I guess) broadcasting ADS-B squitters over here. Most recent Ethiopian B757 are also working well. You should probalby see also some SAA overflights. AS for database, I found the one from airframes.org more uptodate/reliable than the one provided by theRB s/w (from gatwick).
Cheers