AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: just purchased Radarbox  (Read 16997 times)

dudbaker

Re: just purchased Radarbox
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »
Hi

Point 1.  Antennas need to be a 1/4 wave lenght apart to stop any affect.  For VHF airband this is 60CM.

Point 2.  Airports seem to me moving their transmiitter antennas.  They used to have a reciever site and a transmitter site.  With new technology they can be at same place.  Look on the towers for new attennas.
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 07:36:31 PM »

another issue i have is that i think it is interfering with the scanner i listen to as i couldn't pick up brisbaneatc, normally i can pick up BNE APP, CTR etc this time i could only hear ac which was closer to my home position,

could this be the cause of the stronger signal needed by RB that my scanner cannot pick up ATC anymore?

I think the Airnav antenna does interfere with the scanner somehow because like clayton4115 above, I have the same annoying problem. Before I got my ANRB, I could here ATC comms from the Heathrow Directors and the pilots on the Approach and Tower frequencies via my base scanner. Since installing ANRB, I can only get one sided conversation from the pilots. Both antennas are indoors. My base scanner uses an indoor discone. No matter where I move the discone such as on the other side of the room, I just cannot get my two-way comms back. 

If you switch off RadarBox, do you get your 2-way comms back?

Tailwinds

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »
Allocator....

If I turn my Radar Box off then I still don't get the two way comms but see below..

Update...

I am currently..ehem...listening to the Heathrow approach and I've suddenly got two way comms back again after only getting one-way since using ANRB nearly two weeks ago and moving the indoor discone around the room without success. I'm so pleased because it makes looking at my Radar even better now. I just hope it lasts. How can this be? Could it be the weather perhaps? A nice clear day with blue skies here in London at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:35:28 AM by Tailwinds »
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 05:24:35 PM »
Allocator....

If I turn my Radar Box off then I still don't get the two way comms but see below..

Update...

I am currently..ehem...listening to the Heathrow approach and I've suddenly got two way comms back again after only getting one-way since using ANRB nearly two weeks ago and moving the indoor discone around the room without success. I'm so pleased because it makes looking at my Radar even better now. I just hope it lasts. How can this be? Could it be the weather perhaps? A nice clear day with blue skies here in London at the moment.

Indeed it is the weather. VHF/UHF comms are excellent at the moment, probably due to tropospheric ducting. You will probably notice an increase in the length of some of the lobes on your RB polar diagram too. Have a look at the forecast ducting patterns at this website: http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_eur.html

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Tailwinds

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »
Thanks for the link Tom.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!