AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: just purchased Radarbox  (Read 17018 times)

clayton4115

Re: just purchased Radarbox
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 10:34:01 PM »
hi all

another issue i have is that i think it is interferring with the scanner i listen to as i couldnt pick up brisbaneatc, normally i can pick up BNE APP, CTR etc this time i could only hear ac which was closer to my home position,

could this be the cause of the stronger signal needed by RB that my scanner cannot pick up ATC anymore?

thanks

clayton4115

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 05:21:51 AM »
another question is the antenna which comes with RB waterproof? can i stick it on my roof ok and not being worried it getting rusty or something?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 07:40:49 AM »
clayton4115,

Two antennas should not interfer with one another as the frequency for ADS-B and ATC is very different and your not tranmisting anything to block the other. However best not to have them sat together.

The RB default antenna is not designed to be left out in the elements and hence your better off getting an external antenna.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

cosmoc

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 08:19:54 AM »
Nice to see you up and running:-)
what kind of range are you getting from your RB

clayton4115

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 08:33:58 AM »
hi, range is kinda dissapointing, only getting 10-15 NMs going to try put it in the attic and see if that helps.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 09:46:23 AM »
I can get contacts out to 10 miles without the antenna plugged in!

clayton4115

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »
lol thats great! i think my physical position is quite bad, on the weekend i will go put the antenna in the attic.

clayton4115

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »
can anyone tell me what the dashed lines are behind the ac and front of the ac?

thanks

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 10:43:42 AM »
Hi Clayton

They are origin and destination lines - the long dashes in front of the plane are destination, the short ones behind are origin, - these show when the route can be obtained from the flight ID. And the short dashes in front of the plane show the heading- the longer the line, the faster the plane's going.

Getting some returns on the network from you at the moment - great stuff! Looking forward to your new aerial position!

Rod
Rod

clayton4115

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
hi Rod

yes pity i am limited to the range, i dont think i shoud be blaming the aerial so much i am sure its the position of the aerial, will be testing different locations tomorrow to see where is best

they are landing on 01 atm, even better for me as they fly over my house to land.

clayton4115

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 01:34:01 AM »
hi if the antenna is not good for the outdoors, then why is the antenna not an indoor antenna? i thought if its not an indoor antenna the antenna should be outdoors?

cosmoc

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 02:43:48 AM »
Hi clayton4115
it takes a few days for the aerial to live up to its expectations.
on the first day i had my RB the range was about 10nm but after a few days it incrased to about 50nm. So do not worry about your limited range yet

clayton4115

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 04:00:35 AM »
hi cosmoc,

i have placed the aerial on the roof gutter of my house through the window, where the computer is, the cord wasnt long enough to get through the attic, anyways now my range has improved to about 50NM however i may eventually have it permantely  on my tv aerial, while i am at it i may also extend my scanner, by installing a base antenna for the scanner as well, i was looking at the Diamond R777, if i place these antennas on the same pole on the top of my house with the tv aerial will there be any interference?

cosmoc

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 05:54:47 AM »
 i do not belive their would be any interference. Good to see that you have got some good range now:-).
My aerial is placed in our living room and i get the good range. I have not experimented on different placement spots for the aerial yet so its good to know that you can get better range!.
make sure to keep a look out for the qantas A380 tommorrow!

Tailwinds

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »

another issue i have is that i think it is interfering with the scanner i listen to as i couldn't pick up brisbaneatc, normally i can pick up BNE APP, CTR etc this time i could only hear ac which was closer to my home position,

could this be the cause of the stronger signal needed by RB that my scanner cannot pick up ATC anymore?

I think the Airnav antenna does interfere with the scanner somehow because like clayton4115 above, I have the same annoying problem. Before I got my ANRB, I could here ATC comms from the Heathrow Directors and the pilots on the Approach and Tower frequencies via my base scanner. Since installing ANRB, I can only get one sided conversation from the pilots. Both antennas are indoors. My base scanner uses an indoor discone. No matter where I move the discone such as on the other side of the room, I just cannot get my two-way comms back. 
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!