AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active network location map?  (Read 4695 times)

oceans777

Active network location map?
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »
I notice my location in southern California (approx 21 miles NNE of KLAX, 6 miles due east of KBUR) does not appear on the map - is this because my ISP is blocking pings or ?? Not a big deal - just thought may be informative for other users to see RB user in the area.

Don't mind providing admin with exact lat/long if helpful/relevant.

Thanks!

Deadcalm

Re: Active network location map?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
If you look back through recent posts in this forum, you'll see that the network location map is a bone of contention.  Some (not all) of us think it a waste of time as it is so innacurate - even resolving users to countries other than the one in which they actually are.  All a bit pointless, really.

Suggestions have been made that maybe it would be far more useful to see where network contibutors actually are (within reason) but some are a little shy, so the status quo remains.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

oceans777

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »
I did see some posts but didn't realize they or some were so inaccurate. Not much  point then. Plus I guess networked users can see the activity around LAX anyway.

Thanks

darylsmith

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
You are not alone oceans777. I live in Colorado about 22 miles from Denver International Airport and my location is never displayed on the network location map.

Daryl
Daryl Smith
Lafayette, Colorado, USA

oceans777

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »
Yes I think I watch your flights a lot - looks like you have great coverage, right down to the runways.
Very cool to see them stacked up for Denver even with the five min delay.

John

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 06:57:58 PM »
As a non RB owner yet, would it not be possible to have an option to register in accurately, a middling option of 30 - 50 mile accuracy, or complete opt out facility when registering with the system, or being able to manually input an exact location.   If you're feeding the network system with data, a pretty canny guess would give an approximation of monitoring location?   Sorry if this sounds a bit naive or simplistic.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:01:35 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »
Loads of topics about this and your suggestion, use the search function in the forum :)
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]