anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: splitter/combiner  (Read 7671 times)

Wer3Y

splitter/combiner
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »
i have 4 different antennas and i would like to know if it's possible that i connect them to a single RB by using some sort of splitter/combiner device?

if so, where would i be able to find a splitter/combiner designed for 1090 MHz?
-= W e r 3 Y =-

WiMo

Re: splitter/combiner
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:06:17 AM »
Splitters are very wideband, i.e. you could use one designed for 1200 MHz (23cm ham band) for 1090MHz as well.

Rgds,
Ekki/WiMo

Cumulus

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 07:46:51 AM »
i have 4 different antennas and i would like to know if it's possible that i connect them to a single RB by using some sort of splitter/combiner device?

if so, where would i be able to find a splitter/combiner designed for 1090 MHz?
SSE list two suitable power dividers.

http://www.ssejim.co.uk/25-coaxialcable&accessoriesfor1090sj.htm

Cheers,

Peter

flightchecker

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »
Hi Wer3Y,

the advantage of connecting several antennas to one receiver input by means of “power splitters” might be “eaten up” due to a splitters property of  typically loosing about 3db of power in its “arms”, (that antennas are connected to) if using a “2 way splitter”, and even 6db in case of a "4 way splitter", required for those four antennas it is about in your "application". 3db meaning only half of the power to be “seen” by the receiver, 6db just one fourth of it.

Kind regards,

Karl
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:25:07 AM by flightchecker »

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 12:48:58 AM »
So the cons outweigh the the pros?

flightchecker

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:11:21 AM »
So the cons outweigh the the pros?

Yes, I would say so, unless you're going to compensate the "losses" as mentioned by means of preamplification, whereby the "preamps" should reside as close as possible to the antennas, to prevent cable losses. The solution being quite expensive of course, taking the amplifiers and their accompaning power supplies and "Bias Tees" into account.

Another way might be to use just ONE amplifier BEHIND the splitter, but depending on cablelenght between the feeding antennas and the splitter, cable losses have to be considered again. "Noise", as added by the feeding cable, will of course too be amplified, finally degrading the "signal to noise ratio" at the receivers input.

As the "individual" antennas normally will be situated "far" from each other (as otherwise does not make sense) this "solution" appears not to be very attractive.

Regards,

Karl

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:20:42 AM by flightchecker »

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »
Agreed.