AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polar diagram - inclusion criteria?  (Read 4217 times)

Fenris

Polar diagram - inclusion criteria?
« on: January 12, 2009, 03:05:12 PM »
A quick question about the polar diagram.

How many messages from a given aircraft are required to include that position as within the polar diagram limits? Or indeed some other requirement like several positions in close proximity to each other?

I've seen a couple of cases where a short, but noticeable track appeared from a non-network flight and the polar diagram did not expand to include that position at its edge.

This maybe entirely sensible, I'm just trying to get a grasp of how the decision is made.

peteeds

• RADIO AMATEUR (2W1FJZ - MW3PET )
Re: Polar diagram - inclusion criteria?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »
I have been running a test here today, I have had SBS Plotter running in the background most of the day & i'm baffled by the results, Polar diagram from RB shows a reasonable all round coverage, polar diagram from SBS plotter shows no coverage to the west at all but all other directions pretty much the same, is this just a glitch in the software or is rb polar diagram better than sbs. odd as the signals are comming from the same antenna. any ideas.

cheers Peteeds.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 08:51:22 PM »
If I remember correctly, SBS Plotter can be set to draw a diagram of coverage at different heights?  RB includes all aircraft, rather than specific heights.

peteeds

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »
Hy allocator, tnx for the quick reply, Just checked again & sbs set for all hights so I assume the diagram should be pretty much the same on both but rb shows a much better coverage so maybe it is better. Just checked your flag on the map & it seems we are not that far apart just offa's dyke between us ???

Cheers Peteeds.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »
Did you reset/clear the RB polar diagram before starting your test?

peteeds

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:11:23 PM »
Hy Tarbat, yep started both systems from scratch, will have another go tomorrow & see what comes up. will keep you posted.

Cheers Peteeds

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
Hy allocator, tnx for the quick reply, Just checked again & sbs set for all hights so I assume the diagram should be pretty much the same on both but rb shows a much better coverage so maybe it is better. Just checked your flag on the map & it seems we are not that far apart just offa's dyke between us ???

Cheers Peteeds.

Yes, it looks like it's you and me guarding the western approaches :-)